Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2003 Dodge Durango and over the weekend the power locks system became possessed and its constantly unlocking itself. Even without the car running! I checked both fuse boxes and there isn't a fuse that I could find that controls power locks specifically. It has been unlocking itself for the last few days and the only thing that I've been able to do is pull the domelight fuse so my battery doesn't die.

It seems that this is a fairly common problem as I have seen many complaints online about this problem. However, I still haven't found the answer that I'm looking for. What is causing this? What part needs to be fixed/replaced. Is there a fuse that I can pull to temporarily keep it locked? How much is this going to cost me in the end?

Please help me on this one!!

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
haha..ok ok, so i had this problem when i first got my dak. id drive around and my locks would lock and unlock themselves all th time. turns out, the ground was loose!! remove th kick panels in th front by where ur feet are and check for loose bolts..thats where mine was, otherwise look for a wiring diagram for ur year durango..hope this helps! i kno jus how annoyin it can be

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
CTM (Central Timing Module) is on the fritz. I'm having the same problem with my truck, in addition to the wiper delay not working. Terribly annoying.

Dealer trip for this one, roughly $250 from what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
CTM (Central Timing Module) is on the fritz. I'm having the same problem with my truck, in addition to the wiper delay not working. Terribly annoying.

Yea, sounds like the CTM is goin out..

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
still, id go check ur grounds before u go spendin $250!!
O, no doubt, i would deff check for the loose ground before goin out and spendin jingle. I just thought that would be obvious for the OP lol.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yes that TSB is valid for the locks going crazy. A number of people on several Durango forums have had this problem with the locks and it was one of the arm/disarm switches. In the mean time, find the fuse for the power locks and pull it so the doors do not unlock when you are away from the vehicle.

Reactions: caulk04

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody. I found the right fuses to pull last night for a temporary fix. For all the people who I'm sure will have this problem in the future...since there is no fuses labeled "power locks", the only fuses you can pull to get this to temporarily stop are the CTM1 and CTM2 fuses. They are located in the fuse box right next to the battery.

·
Registered
366 Posts

yeah thats how mine started, then the lights interior and exterior would blink and flash.
Dealer trip for this guy was $500

thanks to this site i had it diagnosed and told them what the problem "should" be so that they could check it first, but they still decided to take 1 1/2 hours to determine the problem. So if the stealership installs it get ready to pay around $500

·
10,424 Posts
yeah thats how mine started, then the lights interior and exterior would blink and flash.
Dealer trip for this guy was $500

thanks to this site i had it diagnosed and told them what the problem "should" be so that they could check it first, but they still decided to take 1 1/2 hours to determine the problem. So if the stealership installs it get ready to pay around $500
They did that to me when I took it in for a busted up cat (Fed emissions warranty)...wasted 2hrs of my time diagnosing a problem that I gave them the location of.

·
THE 2 TONE FLAMED BULLET
5,236 Posts

i know this is slightly off subject...but i have an 89 chevy that has a terible ring/wine in the stereo and only about half of the wiper functions work...i figured a ground was causeing the stereo problem but could this also cause the wiper issue?

Reactions: WarrensD

·
10,424 Posts
i know this is slightly off subject...but i have an 89 chevy that has a terible ring/wine in the stereo and only about half of the wiper functions work...i figured a ground was causeing the stereo problem but could this also cause the wiper issue?
An 89 Chevy won't have any kind of body computer...

The radio noise is likely ground related, somewhere.

The wiper problem may be the wiper motor/assembly, I recall that being a common issue. Buddy of mine swapped his out, I think he was having that same problem.

·
10,424 Posts
I've found a TSB that I think relates to this problem. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/08-023-03.htm

This looks a lot less expensive than replacing the CTM. Did anybody else with this problem choose to go this route?
Yes that TSB is valid for the locks going crazy...
Hot damn! I owe you two a drink! I figured, 'what the hell' and pulled the driver side door panel, unplugged that little demon switch and no more crazy locks. Slap my ass and call me Sally, that makes me so happy.

Note - I was going to change the phrase that I italicized above (since it just doesn't sound right...), but it was a little too funny to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey all, it looks like nobody responded with this, though i didnt read that linked TSB, maybe thats what i am about to say, if it is, im sorry...

i believe this problem is related to moisture/water leaks. water/moisture can get into the lock mechanism in any of the doors and trigger the random lock/unlock. since the system is linked together they all go on and off together. this can even happen when the car is off. its very strange. our old durango used to do this. My current one luckily is ok. Just a thought, might try taking off the door panels and making sure everything is nice and dry... installing some padding or something to prevent water from getting onto the mechanisms through the window sill can also help.

good luck all... i believe this is the cause of the lock trouble for a lot of people, but probably not all. there may be very well be something else wrong with the electrical system

·
10,424 Posts
The TSB does state water intrusion is a likely cause. I'm not so sure that's what caused my problem. My switch has been R&I'd several times, it may have just gotten damaged.

In the mean time, if you can't get a new one right away, just remove it all together. Lock problem fixed. You just won't be able to unlock the door with the key and not have the alarm go off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FOUND IT! I have been dealing with the possessed locks and after reading this I looked in the kick panel and the ground wire was tight -BUT- next to it was the wiring harness and I could see one of the HEX SCREW HEADS had rubbed through a white wire and was shorting! I re-wrapped it and tucked it away. Hoping to never have this issue again. 5 Min/ $0 Fix Check your wires!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts