Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 Durango power windows:

Driver's window has always worked ok.

Passenger and rear windows only work AFTER pulling the interior panel and striking the window actuator motor (usually with a screwdriver/hammer), and then they only work for a short time (usually a day or two) and then stop working again.
When they do work - they work ok. No sticking/binding or unusual noises.

Even tried running the windows up and down everytime the car is used (at least twice daily), but still quit working as described above.

Any Ideas!?!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My drivers side window does some weird shit. It will go down about an inch and then stop. I have to push it down while holding the button for it to go down. It works fine in the rain, and when it isnt cold out. It confuses the hell out of me. It may be because i have tint on there, but I'm not sure. :confused: :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twisted - I had the same problem in my truck and took it to the dealer and they replaced the motor and gears and greased the tracks and it works just fine now. Mine's got tinted windows as well but unless its like an inch thick it won't cause any problem.

tstinson - Yours i have no idea as to why its doing this unless its a bad relay in there some where. It actually sounds to me like the motors have gone bad and they are basically freezing up. Good luck. Might try a salvage yard. I have a sneeky suspiscion that the stealers will charge an arm and a leg for it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 98 Durango and my passenger window does the same thing. It will work one day and then the next I get nothing. I had it where I couldn't get it to work for 2 weeks. I took it to a shop and it rolled down with no problem. So I have no clue what's up.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the same thing happen to two of my windows. I've heard the dealers will always sell you a new motor. I took the panels off to access the cable. On one window I just had to pull on the cable and it started working again. The other I had to loosen the track it rides on to get it loose. I then greesed the cables. One window has worked since. The other froze up on me again and I just haven't had a chance to try loosening it again. Hope that helps.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same problem with my 1999 Durango rear windows.. Sometimes it works and sometimes they don't..

I pulled my panels off and check with my fluke and the motor is getting power. I can also hear a clicking noise when I hit the switch. It seem more like it's getting binded up or the motor just doesn't have the power to move the window when the track it dry..

·
Registered
191 Posts
twistedrt01 said:
My drivers side window does some weird shit. It will go down about an inch and then stop. I have to push it down while holding the button for it to go down. It works fine in the rain, and when it isnt cold out. It confuses the hell out of me. It may be because i have tint on there, but I'm not sure. :confused: :confused:
I had the same problem in my camaro, those cars were noturious for the window motors burning up! Anybody that has this type of problem...well thats probably the problem..if they just stop goin up and down or work when they wanna work, Check the motor!

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
The early Durango model years had problems with their window motors. A friend of mine had a 98 as well, went through a couple motors on his.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
grease the tracks and pivot points...window will move much better and prevent the motors from overheating...use LPS 2

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Had the same problem w/ 2001 Dak. The pass. would intermittently work from the passenger control but always from the driver's control. Took the panel apart and found the driver's side (where the pass. side gets it's power) was all gunked up w/ dust and ? Cleaned it and no problems since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a friend that works at a dealership and all of the dodges have the same problem. The drive motor for the windows are prone to attracting dust around them causing the motor to freeze up. A quick fix is to hit the door panel right on top of the motor at the same time you are pressing the switch to move the window. This will be a temporary fix, but if this does not work it means the motor is to far gone and needs to be replaced. I suggest a new motor because if you get one from the salvage yard you are only picking up someone else's problem motor. A new motor should last a good 6 to 7 years as long as you use it often enough to keep it from seizing up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On my 99 Durango, the passenger door's window does pretty much the same thing. However, if I were to attach wires to my cordless drill battery and touch them to the power wires for the window motor, the window will work. So, is there somethign between the driver's side switches and the passenger's motor that could be going bad?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but here's a money saving tip. I have a 99 D. My driver's side window stopped working and the passenger side got a little slow. I ended up buying a refurbished one off of ebay, so that saved some cash from going to the dealer.

Once I had the old one off and was getting ready to put the refurbished one on, I took a look at the old one and saw that you could get inside the motor housing. There is a small electrical bushing in there that was worn. Went to the local hardware store to match it up and lo-and-behold, they had plenty of them around. Bought one for a couple of bucks, took it home and put it in the old power window motor and it worked good as new.

So no need to spend a couple of hundred at the dealer. This is easily fixed by a $2 part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts