Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, I'm looking at purchasing a new front bumper cover, which has a very fair price of $54.79 (SHERMAN Part # 329878)

Just about ready to finalize the sale, when BAMMMM! Shipping for $100 at minimum?

I'm always ready to support the local companies here on the site, but that shipping price exceeds EBAY greed!

·
Vendor
239 Posts
Here's the deal, I'm looking at purchasing a new front bumper cover, which has a very fair price of $54.79 (SHERMAN Part # 329878)

Just about ready to finalize the sale, when BAMMMM! Shipping for $100 at minimum?

I'm always ready to support the local companies here on the site, but that shipping price exceeds EBAY greed!
Hello,

Thank you for your post. I've entered the Sherman part number into our catalog and calculated shipping to our headquarters. The shipping quote you are receiving is accurate. The bumper cover will have to ship FedEx/UPS (who charge a lot for oversize packages) or ship on a truck which I have not found a quote for under $100.

Unfortunately the quote you are getting online is accurate and is what we are being charged by FedEx/UPS or the trucking company. We cannot modify shipping as the quote is what we are being charged to ship the part out.

Thank you,

www.RockAuto.com

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PartsTrain cuts the shipping for this part in half of what RockAuto mandates ($50 bucks instead of your $100), and that's UPS ground.

Just wanted to point out that profiting off of shipping is easy to see these days, but it's not my credibility, so I'll smartly take my business elsewhere.

Thanks for the response RockAuto.

·
Vendor
239 Posts
RockAuto only charges actual shipping costs.

DakotaPwr,

We negotiate the best shipping rates we can with the shipping companies: FedEx, UPS, etc. The RockAuto customer only pays what the shipping company charges to ship their box. RockAuto does not make money on shipping charges.

Our competitors have to pay FedEx and UPS to ship boxes just like we do. Some competitors subsidize the shipping charges their customers pay by raising the price of their products. Customers still end up paying for shipping, but part of the shipping cost is included in the price of the part. I visited the competitor site you mentioned and found their bumper covers for the 2001-2004 Dakota start at $73.29 while RockAuto’s start at $33.79.

Competitors that subsidize shipping also might have complicated pricing formulas where they figure out they will lose money on heavy orders shipped far away, but make up the difference when they ship their high profit margin, light products to nearby customers. The customer shipping the lightweight engine control module from a nearby warehouse pays more for the part and/or shipping so that a customer shipping heavy brake drums from a warehouse faraway pays less for shipping.

RockAuto has never had any tricky product pricing or shipping charge strategies. For the last decade we have offered all our parts at the lowest prices we can and all money collected from customers for shipping goes to the shipper. It may be a boring strategy, but our customers appreciate knowing they will pay fair prices and actual shipping costs no matter which part they buy. They also appreciate other things like RockAuto’s customer service people are still in Wisconsin rather than at contracted call centers in India and the Philippines.

It is ironic to hear “shipping price exceeds EBAY greed” because that sort of customer frustration was what our pricing & shipping policies were meant to avoid. It might be startling to pay $100 to ship a $50 part, but please be assured that if we charge $100 to ship a Dodge truck bumper cover then that $100 goes right in the pocket of UPS. We could raise the price of the bumper to $150 and offer “free shipping”, but we think it is better to stick with only charging actual shipping charges for all parts.

RockAuto.com is my family’s auto parts business. I hope my explanation has helped and that you will visit RockAuto.com again. Please email me if you have any questions or comments about RockAuto.com.

Tom Taylor
[email protected]

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Competitors that subsidize shipping also might have complicated pricing formulas where they figure out they will lose money on heavy orders shipped far away, but make up the difference when they ship their high profit margin, light products to nearby customers. The customer shipping the lightweight engine control module from a nearby warehouse pays more for the part and/or shipping so that a customer shipping heavy brake drums from a warehouse faraway pays less for shipping.

I understand the need for shipping calculations based on product weight, but these types of formulas and methods really aren't seen anymore due to competition prices.

I was simply trying to say that compared to competitors, a customer like myself would like to support the advertising companies here, but won't because going through another company will help me save money.

Same bumper cover:
$129 with shipping from PartsTrain.
$152 with shipping from RockAuto.

Not a big deal, I was just a little shocked when the shipping charge was revealed.

Thanks for the response, have a good day Tom.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
I spent an hour on rockauto the other day pricing out a few parts, all small, gaskets, rad cap, 8 plugs etc. $100 order was $37 shipping. With the military discount I get at advance/autozone/pepboys it just didn't make sense so I cancelled the order. Btw it was going to ship from 3 locations, $14,$15,$7.

·
Vendor
239 Posts
Dakota bumper covers at RockAuto

It currently does cost $152 total to buy a Sherman brand Dakota bumper cover at RockAuto and have it shipped to a zip code in Spokane. That bumper cover ships directly from Sherman's facility outside Detroit.

On their site I could not find any brand listed for the competitor's least expensive ($129 total quoted in above posting) bumper cover.

It would cost only $116.38 total to buy RockAuto's no-brand Dakota bumper cover and have it shipped to a Spokane zip code. An image of that shopping cart is attached.

RockAuto is a forum sponsor and we hope forum members will use RockAuto.com as a place to research and buy parts. It is fine if somebody prefers to buy a part somewhere else for whatever reason, but please don't use a forum thread with RockAuto's name on it to endorse competitors' products. It is one thing to privately choose to not support forum sponsors, but quite another thing to publicly force a sponsor to spend time defending themselves. Let RockAuto's competitors buy their own ads.

Anybody with questions about specific parts in the RockAuto.com catalog is encouraged to email [email protected] or call 1-866-ROCKAUTO (762-5288)

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not using your section to endorse any other brand, I'm showing you the comparison between your company and another. You want to get technical Tom, so I'll show your inconsistency.

You have chosen the cheapest bumper on your list, not the part # I gave you in this thread. Way to go on that first of all.

Second, if you used the part number I requested, you would have received this total price. Here's a picture. (I won't include the other company because I don't want to endorse them).

Attachments

·
Vendor
239 Posts
The RockAuto shopping cart just posted confirms it costs $152 total to buy a Sherman 329878 bumper cover and have it shipped to the Spokane area. I also stated that in my earlier message and am happy to agree with it once again.

The RockAuto shopping cart I posted earlier shows it costs $116 total to ship a no-brand bumper cover to the Spokane area. I chose RockAuto's cheapest, no-brand bumper cover because the competitor price quoted earlier ($129 total) was for the competitor's cheapest, no-brand bumper cover.

It only makes sense to compare apples with apples or in this case, no-brand with no-brand. Both RockAuto and the competitor have bumper covers at many different price levels depending on the manufacturer, CAPA certification, primer, etc.

Speaking of Sherman Body Parts and Spokane... read this RockAuto newsletter to find out how Carl, a hardworking employee at Sherman, helped solve a crime on the other side of Washington state last fall: http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/11509.html

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's an unfortunate experience with a happy ending.

I'll end the conversation, but was just trying to let you guys know that you're getting beat with shipping costs; light and heavy items.

I know there's much more when it comes to shipping contracts, so thanks for clearing up the reasoning behind the cost.

Sincerely,

Dakotapwr

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
Yeah, that's an unfortunate experience with a happy ending.

I'll end the conversation, but was just trying to let you guys know that you're getting beat with shipping costs; light and heavy items.

I know there's much more when it comes to shipping contracts, so thanks for clearing up the reasoning behind the cost.

Sincerely,

Dakotapwr
sometimes companies takes a hit just to sell items. dont mean that companys shipping is always that cheap. I think you attacking him is uncalled for. he answered your question no need to be a smartass to the vendor.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Some companies do over package though. So I thought I found a source for an oil pump gasket, not sure how I found it on the site, cant get back to it today. Any way after searching the web I went back in my history and pulled it up and ordered it. I was peeved about $5.62 shipping on a .63c part. The box was about 8 times bigger than the part, and it was the wrong part, it was a transmission oil pump gasket. A search does say they have an oil pump gasket under the categories engine and transmission. I Called customer service and after talking to a supervisor I got no help. I don't care if they've got the best price on ball joints, I won't be doing business here. I expect this post to be deleted, maybe they'll make it right.

I'm waiting to hear back from melling to see if I can get a gasket by itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts