Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question on my motor that is perplexing me. Yesterday I noticed on the tabs from the head gaskets that extend past the head that two of the tabs had oil on them. Pulled the two spark plugs and they were fine. I also notice that when driving I will see white smoke, especially at start up. Although keep in mind I am running a little lean af ratio. There is no coolant in my oil and the radiator doesn't have any oil in it, and I havn't got any oil leaks up top of the engine that is leaking down. Motor was rebuilt 2 months ago Eddy heads were also studded. This my be nothing but am scratching my head over this one. Maybe the mechanic had dirty hands that day when he installed the gaskets...

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
White smoke coming out of the exhaust usually means coolant is getting into one or more of the cylinders somewhere/somehow, converted to steam and shot out the exhaust. This can happen many different ways. It could be as simple/cheap as a blown head gasket, or it could be as expensive as a cracked engine block or head. Warm the truck to normal op temps, top off the coolant, and drive around for a while. When done, check the coolant level. Did it go down? If so, then the white smoke is definitely the coolant getting into the cylider(s).

It is easy to check if you have an air compressor. Remove one of the rear spark plugs and the radiator cap (make sure the engine is COLD!!!). Fill the radiator and then push some air into the spark plug hole (get a good seal in case a valve is open). Repeat with all the cylinders and watch for air bubbles coming up into the radiator. If bubbles come up or fluid is pumped out, the head gasket is blown and must be replaced. It is more likely to happen at the back of the engine because it is farthest away from the fan and therefore gets less cooling.

Good luck...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts