Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a number of posts where folks port and polish the throttle body, but they do not port where the butterfly is.

I ask, why not?

I suppose because if you did port where the butterfly is you'd need to fabricate, or buy a larger one. Are they that hard to make or purchase?

Plus if you don't port where the butterfly is, then what's the friggin' point?!?

I mean it's kind of "the-weakest-link" thing to me. Why go through the effort of all this work when you're still restricted at the butterfly. Big opening on both end of the throttle and small in the middle. dunno. Seems completely and absolutely pointless without a straight though port.

And why polish? The air going through the stock intake, at least, has all those ribs in the tube between the airhat and the filter box. I can see polishing would make sense with a smooth CAI.

Where is my thinking off? Someone enlighten me please.

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
The butterfly meaning the little plate that adapts to bolt on the air hat? Use an s-bolt. The rod costs like $2 and you can make like 3 or 4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the butterfly is the round disc valve attached to the TPS sensor in the middle of the throttle body. The thing that rotates when the gas petal is pushed.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Ok, the reason we don't port the butterfy is cuz its a pain in the ass..........what is done, is the step down called the tourque step is removed, making it a straight shot all the way thru.....with no step downs...

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
I was thinking the butterfly is the round disc valve attached to the TPS sensor in the middle of the throttle body. The thing that rotates when the gas petal is pushed.

Oh :forehead:, those would have to be made bigger and fabbed from scratch. Probably simple as cost efficiency.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Because the average joe doesn't have any equipment to properly make one. It has to seal up to the bore or you'll create big idle issues.

Since you've got a 2000 model, pick up an 01-02 TB (make sure the IAC port matches, SOME 02 and all 03+ are different) which is already larger, then clean it up.

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
No one actually ports the TB because almost no one can fabricate new plates.... it's very difficult to do.
Not hard, only time consuming and not cost effective unless you're one of the people charging $300 for a TB.

B

·
0 Posts
I've ported and polished over 300 TB's in the past 15 months and have reused the stock blades in everyone of them. You just have to know what areas to remove and what not to remove. Remove too much and you will end up with a high idle issue that the IAC sensor will not be able to compensate for and the TB is now junk.

Larger and tapered at the top, a tick smaller in the center and larger and tapered at the bottom combined with a smooth surface will give you the venturi effect which increases the speed of the air flow. Do a little research on the venturi effect and you'll know what I'm talking about.

B

·
0 Posts
I've got one boxed and ready to ship if anyone's interested. $110 shipped to your door and if you want to send me your stock TB after the install, I'll refund your paypal account $30 when I receive it.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Sorry Im not at home and do not have the link, I was looking for more info on a 408 and accidently stumbled across this.

A guy on a ram forum has given the PN to a Ford(i think?) TB that was 75mm. he also gave the PN to another piece that would be the adapter after hogging out 1 of the holes that did not quite line up. He said everything bolted up and after 20-25 miles of driving the check engine light on his 4.7 went out. He did know how much power it gave him but certainly was a kick in the pants at WOT.

all for less than $250.

Just some FYI info if someone wants to try to find it and ill try to go through my history and find it too (if i remember and have time)

18,185 Posts
Not hard, only time consuming and not cost effective unless you're one of the people charging $300 for a TB.
To do it properly is very difficult, they have very close tolerances and the valves aren't round

Yes I do and you don't have to use new plates if you know what you're doing. :D
removing the step down in the bore and shaving the crap off the top is not the same a porting. If you make the bores bigger where the valves are seated when closed you have to make new plates

B

·
0 Posts
To do it properly is very difficult, they have very close tolerances and the valves aren't round

removing the step down in the bore and shaving the crap off the top is not the same a porting. If you make the bores bigger where the valves are seated when closed you have to make new plates
Why don't you tell that to Fastman because his don't seal off completely and neither do the stock TB's but you don't notice it because the stepdowns block your view.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts