Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wuz up peeps. hey i just bought my 98 dak with a 5.2 Engine and i changed the exhaust last week. Out of no where when i make a right turn i hear craking sound from the middle of the truck. The funny thing is only on right turns. any ideas what this might be. when it's cold it does it more.

I change the shocks this weekend tought is was but it was not. :huh:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey man, i have the same exact think happen, i think it might be the ball joints but I am not sure, I have a 99 dakota Sport and when i turn into my driveway ( very steep 90 degree turn ) I hear a POP!, sounds like its coming from the back of the truck. Not sure whats going on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is it 4 wheel drive? If it is, it could be a front CV joint. Not sure which would would click when turning right. Check them both. There should be 4 rubber boots under there. One by each tire (on the axel), and one on the other end of the axel where it goes into the transmission.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually , my truck is two wheel drive, lowered but it still made the popping noise before it was lowered so I know its not the new suspension pieces??

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
I believe it's a cab bolt. Nothing to be alarmed of. I have a copy of the TSB at home. I'm at work right now. Check this thread later tonight or tomorrow. BTW, I have a 99 cc cab it "clunks" when making a steep/sharp right hand turn.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, same here man, 1999 CC dakota , 3.9 liter V6. My driveway is a steep right turn and does the exact same thing, if you could help me fix that that would be Awesome! Thanks man

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
OK fellas, it's TSB 23-65-97A There's a drawing that's attached to it too. I'll email it, along with the "fix it" procedure to those that have their email addy available.

Cab Mount - Popping Noise on Steep Inclines
NO: 23-65-97 Rev. A
GROUP: Body
DATE: December 31, 1997
SUBJECT: Loud Popping Noise Is Heard When Vehicle Makes A Sharp Turn Onto A Steep Incline
1997-2001 (AN) Dakota
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 4X2 and 4X4 extended cab vehicles.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A loud popping noise is heard coming from the rear of the cab as the vehicle is turned onto a steep incline such as a driveway approach.
DIAGNOSIS:
Drive the vehicle and turn onto a steep incline while listening for a popping noise coming from the rear of the cab. If a popping noise is heard, perform the following Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
2 06501557 Bolt, Cab Isolator Mounting
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves removing the rear cab isolators and removing 1/4 in. to 3/8 in. of material from the isolator sleeve.

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
man mine does the same thing was wondering what it was thanks for the info guys ... oh yeah mines a 98 also but well used got 203k on her ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts