Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
poor mans CAI now with *pics*!!!!

For you guys out there with low funds me and my friend made a low cost Conduit intake with K&N knock-off filter and black ceramic paint. heres what you need:

One 3" rubber coupler-$6.95
One 2 1/2" 90* bend of conduit-$8.95
One can of your choice of color ceramic engine paint- $3.00
Autozone ricer filter in your choice of silver,blue,red or yellow- $30.00

Basicily you take the first rubber coupler and attach it to the hat on top of the TB. Second, take the conduit paint it with the ceramic paint and fit it to the coupler. Third, attach the fliter and push it on to the conduit about 2 inches so as not to affect the air flow. Total cost is at most 45 bucks. hope this helps you guys. also the filter is made by spectre but you can use any filter with a reverse cone top. this also applies to the 4.7's too. rock on guys :biggthump I posted this down in engine specific but thought this was a more appropriate place. hope you guys enjoy this "write-up" mabye make it a sticky?

Process:

Final version

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump it up a notch

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Actually.. I'm sure alot of people appreciate you giving them the idea of how to do this.. but, there is word going around about how PVC, along with other elements can give up harmful gases / poisionous gases that can damage your engine.

Look up Rooknute... he's got alot of info on it..

Isn' t that right J?

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
heres J's post about it

Quit using PVC....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been tryign to tell guys since I've been around here NOT to be using PVC on the homebrew intakes! It gives off a toxic gas very simular to mustard gas. And because alot of guys argue the point, and dont do their own research, I'm gonna start doing some myself. I first head of this problem because a HVAC contractor that worked for us (no longer) used PVC in a school for some air ventulation type work. We later found out that it was giving off a really toxic gas and had to be removed! Ever since, alot of companys have been showing warnings about using PVC.

I'm still trying to find a cataloge cut on the PVC Warning, but here are a few web sites that talk about the problem.

http://www.besafenet.com/PVC.htm

http://www.healthybuilding.net/pvc/

http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxic...ntent/pvc1.html

And everything you wanna know about PVC (its long, but atleast read the part about MOTHERS, FATHERS, CHILDREN):
http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Po...dPWG25oct01.htm

I'm not a tree hugging hippy or whatever, I just know of the risk of using PVC, expsecially around heat, and just want everyone to be aware of it!

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Adam, thanx for posting that for me. I didnt see this in time.

Seriously tho, use ABS pipe. or some clorine alter. piping.

NEVER use PVC on your truck!!

Alot of guys are gonna get all huffy about it and say it'll never hurt ya, well believe me, I deal with this kinda stuff everyday in the Architectural field, PVC will and does give of a gas VERY simular to mustard gas. Every PVC dealer has been giving a letter stating the problem.

So I'm not gonna sit here and argue the point. I'm not going to use it, and I dont wanna see anyone i know and or care for use it! Soo take my info as you may! OR just do your own research on it.

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Kc_Rage_49 said:
Actually.. I'm sure alot of people appreciate you giving them the idea of how to do this.. but, there is word going around about how PVC, along with other elements can give up harmful gases / poisionous gases that can damage your engine.

Look up Rooknute... he's got alot of info on it..

Isn' t that right J?
kinda :biggthump

But idk what it'll do to your engine, all i know is it'll harm you! Threw your vents or even working on the truck, dont play around with these gas's..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not know that, thanks :biggthump would using a higher schedule such as 40 reduce this?

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Nope, all PVC has that chloride in it. Your gonna have to find a material that doesnt have that in it. ABS doesnt, and I think theres a few others that don't use chloride in them.

If you cant find ABS pipe, let me know. We have some at the house left over from when we made Pop's CAI. I'm sure he'd sell you a small peice cheap..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But they use pvc on water heaters for the exhaust and thats getting alot hotter then what it is experienceing under the hood of most any car. i thermo'ed my pvc intake before i got the SSRI after i was done driving and let it sit and the hottest it got was 110*. that just dosen't seem hot enough to cause a problem :confused:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Why don't ya'll just use Exhuast Tubing? Did I miss somthing? Almost all aftermarket intakes are made from Steel Tubing... I had a setup on my 97 Dakota with 3.5" Exhuast tubing, a couple of 45's and a quick trip to the muffla shop to get em welded at the appropiate angles... and a Quick wrap job with some Pipe Insulating crap (dunno, had a 1/4" or so layer of Fiberglass, then refelective Silver tape) Always seemed to work good for me... Not to mention it looked like it belonged on a spaceship LMAO!

G

·
Alright I've had enough!! :rant:

This anti-PVC stuff has gone overboard. PVC is not going to harm yourself or your vehicle if used on a CAI. You ask how do I know? Well I've been a pharmaceutical chemist for 14 years. I am aware of the compounds that are potential off-gassers (plasticizers called phalates and potentially dioxins) or which are combustion products (dioxins and potentially phosgene) from PVC. Bottom line - don't eat, drink, or breathe for long periods through PVC pipe, and don't light it on fire and breathe the smoke :nono: :smokin: Otherwise the small amounts of phalates you may breathe while making and installing a CIA made of this material are negligible, and will not harm you!

OK, having said that I just made and designed a CIA for my Hemi Durango yesterday, I used a 7" K&N cone filter with a 3.25" outlet, 3.25" schedule 20 PVC, a Fernco hub 3" to 3.5" hub rubber coupler and a 3" straight coupler. I removed the filter box and ran the cone down below the frame rail so it sucks cold air from below and the large opening in the bottom of the front bumper. I used about 1' of straight pipe to a PVC 90, then a PVC 45 to go around the battery, the coupler, and then a PVC 90 into the airbox with a fernco hub 3" to 3.5" hub rubber coupler. Painted all the PVC with Fusions gloss black plastic paint.

I had the and a few clamps and the Fernco, and paid about $25 bucks for the rest of the materials. The filters cost $40-50 new, so for about $75 you could buy all the stuff you need. This duplicates a $300 plus CAI. I did have a couple of hours of time into it. Oh and you need some PVC primer and glue to assemble it.

LOOKS AND WORKS GREAT!!!

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT
:biggthump

G

·
9c1 owner said:
I did not know that, thanks :biggthump would using a higher schedule such as 40 reduce this?
NOPE, and it doesn't matter for the reason in my above post..

"Schedule" refers to the wall thickness of the PVC... FWIW...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bump for update and new pics

·
Registered
322 Posts
You know, I dont understand what all this fuss is about PVC giving of toxic chemicals. Ive been sniffing burning PVC for years and Ive never had anything happen to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
amazing isn't it? and it will cost yo 45 compared to 145 and do the same exact thing :biggthump

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
use the ceramic paint in the guide :biggthump

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.