Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i hear that autolight plugs arent any better than oem plus is that true? also what kind of plug wires should i get? i was also told that a throttle body spacer does nothing for our durangos because of the kind of throttle it uses.

· Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
716 Posts
True and True...... I'v got a friend who works for a Dodge dealer and tells me that he gets in durangos with pinging and misfiring due to the plugs being other than O.E.M. ..... he puts in a new set of plugs and bam, pormlem solved.......Throttle body spacers are junk......thier ment for carb'd vehicles to that the fuel has more time to mix with air thus creating a better A/F ratio......does nothing to a fuel injected engine bedcides gives it a cool whistle sound at WOT. if you save your money from the plugs and throttle body spacer youd almost have enough to buy something that would really help your engine like a throttle body or CAI......

· G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
throttle body spacer are meant to aid in total intake volume. (rinner length). the magnums already have ample intake runner length. in my opinion i think thay are a wee bit too long, and too thin. if they were designed to be about 5%-8% shorter, and just a touch wider, i think they would be better for our trucks in giving a little more torque. these spacers are also meant to help with air turbulance as it enters the intake. helps the air have a smoother radius of flow into the intake. our trucks dont need it, as if you look down the intake, there isnt an abrupt turn that the air need to make. tb spacer are great for one thing though..

a paper weight. (when it comes to our trucks that is..lol)

ive had autolights in my trucks for years, and havent had a problem with them. whats causing the pinging issue is the fact that on v8's, the back two cylinders run the hottest (also they are the last ones to see the water and by then the water is alreading hot), this created hot spots in the cylinder, any sharp spot on the piston or elsewhere, and bang (predetonation). install a one step colder plug in cylinders 7 and 8, then change your thermostat to a 180* one. bye bye pinging. did this for my ram when i had her, had a slight pinging issue, did this trick, and say goodby to the ping. btw, had alot of performance stuff on the ram too.

· Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
have tried Autolites, Champions, Bosch.... good ole stock copper core replacements are the best ones. Platinum plugs dont work well in the Magnum motors.

had the best luck with the Champion Truck plugs, OEM replecments.

as for wires, most have had great succes woth either Taylors or MSD`s. 8 or 8.5mm.

as others have said here and in other forums, TB spacers are over priced machined aluminum paperweights, had a personal experience with them. should have found the forums first, though rumor has it they make great NOS sprayplates :biggthump

· Registered
389 Posts
I bought those NGK's you recommended in another thread, but I haven't put them in yet. I still have to get some new wires, so where do I get the Taylor's you recommend?

What about this "one step colder" thing on the back two plugs? Another Dakota owner who had the same Kenne Bell S/C as mine recommended the same thing. How do I find out the heat range of the plugs and exactly what does that mean? I thought plugs take tens of thousands of volts and produce a spark, the hotter the better?

· Premium Member
5,240 Posts
The Autolite 3923 is recommended at times because it is a one-step colder plug which will help prevent detonation when the vehicle is hot or under heavy load. A stock range plug will produce slightly more horsepower because it is a hotter plug. Other options to help prevent detonation include using higher octane fuel, a 180 degree thermostat, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.