Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this so here looks good!

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you guys plow with you Dakotas/Durango’s. I hate my plow truck:tdown: and found a great deal on a plow for my truck. Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks
Kurt

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
I don't think anyone on here does...

I see a few Dakotas around me with plows on though. I'm sure it does perfectly fine, so long as you aren't wanting to plow Wal-Mart parking lots or anything.

Seeing as how you already run 33's, your front suspension will be taking a royal beating, keep up with it! There's a company out there that makes a product that replaces the compression bump stop with a progressive sort of thing...I remember reading something about it, but I forget what it's called.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think anyone on here does...

I see a few Dakotas around me with plows on though. I'm sure it does perfectly fine, so long as you aren't wanting to plow Wal-Mart parking lots or anything.

Seeing as how you already run 33's, your front suspension will be taking a royal beating, keep up with it! There's a company out there that makes a product that replaces the compression bump stop with a progressive sort of thing...I remember reading something about it, but I forget what it's called.
i have a set of stockers ill put on when i plow.

the front end is what im worried about. it needs a lil work now anyway....

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'd get the work done first, just to make sure you don't break anything.

I thought there was something too, about it being strongly recommended in the manual of Gen III's to not attach a plow. I'd check yours, to be safe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found this on another site.... good points.

his truck.
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
-4.7 V8, Auto
-7 1/2' Fisher Minute Mount

The dakota's have the SAME EXACT drivetrain as the half ton's. The only difference is some of the earlier years could be fitted with an 8.25 rear end. Most V8's came with the 9 1/4 rears which is the same as the 1/2 ton trucks. In 2000 the dakota's switched over to the 45RFE Tranny that was later used in all 2002 Ram 1500's, and 2003 and newer Ram 2500/3500 gassers. In late 2002 early 2003 chrysler "reflashed" this tranny making it a 5 speed hence 545RFE.

The 2000 and Newer Dakota's use a 8" Corporate front Axle (Same again as the Ram 1500) which earlier models- 97-99 used a modified Dana35 or 30. The 5.2 (318) was replaced by the 4.7 V8 which once again is the same one used in the Ram 1500's.

All in all they handle plowing just fine and their drivetrain is part of the reason that the 2000+ are Rated for the SAME PLOW's as any 1/2 ton's. I run a MM1 7 1/2' Fisher on my truck with the Tbar's cranked and some weight in the bed and it does great. Been plowing for 3 years with this truck and it hasn't batted an eye. I redid all 4 Ball joints a year and a half ago and that was it.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Actually, the c205mm front axle isn't exactly the same. The Ram variant uses larger pinion bearings and may have better/different mounting positions. Ram guys run 35's fairly regularly from what I've heard and our guys have broken the front axle on 33's without much to-do.

Besides, it's not the axle that I'm worried about, it's the suspension itself, which is not as robust as the Rams'.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I think the front suspensionis a little too weak for plowing. As much as I like dakotas I woudlnt trust it. Plowing is hard on the suspension and frames

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I will agree with the weaker front suspension. There are a few S-10s and Rangers running around with plows on them. When they lift the plow up, it seems to almost bottom out the suspension. Even the 1/2 tons trucks dip down in the front when the plow lifts off the ground, but not as bad as teh samller trucks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The other day I saw a 4cyl Nissan Hardbody plowing a post office. (I almost wrecked because i was staring and laughing at it on the snowy roads) I bet that the dakota can take more than it can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts