Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am new here but here goes. I bought my wife a 05 durango 4x2 with 4.7. Im not new to dodge motors. This durango acts like it has no power out of the hole at all. If your going like 25 or 30 and you try to accelerate it seems to not wanna get up and go and if you continue pushing the accelerator down it kicks in the passing gear. So its like it has no power. I have owned 2 different 2nd ge durangos with the 4.7 and they ran way stronger than this one. My mom has a 4.7 2002 ram 4x4 single cab and its very much stronger than my wifes durango.
Ive changed plugs,tps, and normal tune up stuff. No cel,has 130,000 miles. Could the cats be stopped up?
Any help would be greatley appreciated. I know the capabilities of the 4.7 and this one deff has a problem?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well I am new here but here goes. I bought my wife a 05 durango 4x2 with 4.7. Im not new to dodge motors. This durango acts like it has no power out of the hole at all. If your going like 25 or 30 and you try to accelerate it seems to not wanna get up and go and if you continue pushing the accelerator down it kicks in the passing gear. So its like it has no power. I have owned 2 different 2nd ge durangos with the 4.7 and they ran way stronger than this one. My mom has a 4.7 2002 ram 4x4 single cab and its very much stronger than my wifes durango.
Ive changed plugs,tps, and normal tune up stuff. No cel,has 130,000 miles. Could the cats be stopped up?
Any help would be greatley appreciated. I know the capabilities of the 4.7 and this one deff has a problem?

Thanks
Adam
I would check the air filter and cats first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I did change the air filter, My next thought is the cats? But how would I check them? and wouldnt the cel come on if they were the culprit?
Thanks
for the reply.
Feel like selling it and getting a different one. Ive allways been a dodge guy. I have 69 charger with 383 and also 03 ram with hemi.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah I did change the air filter, My next thought is the cats? But how would I check them? and wouldnt the cel come on if they were the culprit?
Thanks
for the reply.
Feel like selling it and getting a different one. Ive allways been a dodge guy. I have 69 charger with 383 and also 03 ram with hemi.
The light may or may not come on. Myself, I would cut the exhaust before the main cat and try it out. If that fixes the problem, have it replaced. If not, weld it back together.

I'm a Mopar guy myself.

I have a 1969 Dart with 318 mag
2001 Dak RC 4x4 5spd 4.7
2003 Dak Quad 4x4 5 spd 4.7
2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC 6 speed Viper Powered

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I just sold my other 69 440 show car, didnt want to but needed the money work is slow. On this durango there are 2 cats and they are located right below the exaust manifolds. I have a budy here with a shop that said he could just hack them off and we dont have emmision requirements here in warner robins ga. Also there seems to be 2 mufflers under there as well. 1 is like 3 ft long and huge and the other is small right befor the outlet of the tail pipe? Im stumped bro.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put my hand over the tail pipe while running and yeah I know its supposed to be hot but it is real hot and the pressure does not push my hand off at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah I just sold my other 69 440 show car, didnt want to but needed the money work is slow. On this durango there are 2 cats and they are located right below the exaust manifolds. I have a budy here with a shop that said he could just hack them off and we dont have emmision requirements here in warner robins ga. Also there seems to be 2 mufflers under there as well. 1 is like 3 ft long and huge and the other is small right befor the outlet of the tail pipe? Im stumped bro.

I could be wrong but I think the 2 near the manifolds are resonators? How many o2 sensors and where are they?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I have a budy here with a shop that said he could just hack them off and we dont have emmision requirements here in warner robins ga.
You'll throw a CEL code if you remove the cats. I wouldn't do that, with or without emissions testing requirements.

You can tell if the cat is clogged/damaged by hitting it with a rubber mallet and listening for anything clinking around inside. With that said, I seriously doubt its your cat's. If it was, you would have problems no matter what speed your at. My guess is that its a bad coil. They tend to show signs of going out when under load.

Have you replaced the spark plugs yet? I would also check your vacuum lines for any vacuum leaks.

·
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML
4,370 Posts
+1 on checking the brakes. my 4banger was REALLY gutless when we got it, turns out both front brakes were locked up
I thought there were 4 02's and 3 cat's on the 05 'rangos

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
My truck lost power where I would lose speed going up a hill with it floored. Gas mileage also went to hell. About a week later it started bucking and kicking, the 3rd cat ended up being clogged. You can tell the exhaust will be hotter and tick more when it cools. Like someone said already make a cut before it and see if it helps, then either cut it off or weld it back up. I did get a CEL though, I think it was running lean.

Reactions: eve1966

·
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML
4,370 Posts
just unbolt the exhaust from the headers and take a quick spin, if it makes a huge difference that's your issue.

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
Problem there is you just removed all 3 cats, that doesn't narrow it down

·
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML
4,370 Posts
sure it does, it's an exhaust problem not something else.
then you can work out what one it is one at a time

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
Very true

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are 2 cats 1 resonator and 1 muffler. Brakes are ok tried that the other day they spin freely. New plugs. seems if a coil was bad cel would be on?Gonna unbolt the exaust pies from the manifolds and try that. Thanks yall

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had some of the same symptoms you were having. My truck would run pretty good until i floored it. It lost a lot of power and started to stall and shake at about 2500 rmp ( It would continue to shake for about 10 seconds once i shifted into the next gear and then shaking would go away). It took a while for the check engine light to come on. i took it to a mechanic i know and he said the drivers side cat was bad. You may be able hear a rattling sound when truck is running which could indicate a bad cat.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
seems if a coil was bad cel would be on
It would show up as a misfire, but only if your lucky… :stirthepo My girly's mustang had a bad coil that would only cause a problem when under load (speeding up to get on the highway, for example). No CEL's. Swapped out the coil and the problem went away.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts