Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you take the 4wd out of a 99 Durango and put it in either one of these cause I have both, 91 first Gen 12 valve Cummins, or a 98- 24 valve 2nd Gen Cummins?? Is that possible or to costy to even consider?? Help me out please

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,411 Posts
I don't think the Durango transfer cases will survive the Cummins torque.

Also, most 4WD trucks have different frames than the 2WD trucks.

Are the two Cummins 2WD or 4WD? And what's your end game?

RwP

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,411 Posts
Frames are different. Torque ratings are different.

If you want a 4WD Cummins, try buying a 4WD Cummins with a worn out motor and rebuilding it to take one of your current ones.

RwP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Frames are different. Torque ratings are different.

If you want a 4WD Cummins, try buying a 4WD Cummins with a worn out motor and rebuilding it to take one of your current ones.

RwP
I know the transmissions you can tell the torque rating in their model no. (44RE, 46RE, 68RFE, etc) but did the transfer cases have different model numbers or were they the same across 1500/2500?

It would make sense if the T case wasn’t the weak point in the drive train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where can I fint information on compatability between Durango and Dakota? I have a dead 2002 Durango and want to steal parts from it for my Dakota. Example, Power seats in the Durango SLT Plus to my Dakato Quad cab Sport Plus.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nope. It's not possible. The 4wd system under the Dakota is no where near capable of supporting a Cummins. The weight of a Cummins would destroy the suspension, and the torque of a Cummins (even a 1st gen) would lay waste to the differential, axle half shafts, and every other part between the trans and tires

Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where can I fint information on compatability between Durango and Dakota? I have a dead 2002 Durango and want to steal parts from it for my Dakota. Example, Power seats in the Durango SLT Plus to my Dakato Quad cab Sport Plus.
They are. Check out sites like www.moparpartsoverstock.com to double check. It will show all compatible models for a given part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it. This is my first time for posting in a forum and I now realize that I needed to start a new thread so I did. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts