Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run across a plastic tailgate handle for the 87-96 Dakota?

I'm doing some cosmetic cleanup on my 95 replacing a bunch of exterior/trim pieces. Have received two Kool-vue brand replacement handles now that are cast and powercoated and while cheap, both have shown up with chips/gouges right out of the factory packaging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well if you're talking about factory ones then I can just send you one. Of course I don't know the condition because its on a rolled truck parked at my parents. But I will try and get up there and see what I can do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, can anyone confirm if they've ever seen an actual plastic tailgate handle (oem or aftermarket) for these trucks?

The oem handle on my 95 is cast (likely pot metal) and paint/powdercoated black. The 2x Kool View brand replacement handles I received attempting to order a replacement are both paint/powdercoated cast, and unfortunately it seems possible to get one that isn't gauged up right out of the packaging. The replacement handles are cheap, but i think because they're cheap the company doesn't put any effort into quality control or better packaging.

I was hoping that there existed a tailgate handle out there the same as the factory textured black plastic door handles.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
AFAIK they are all metal - the latching mechanism in the tailgate requires much more force to unlock than the one in the doors, thus requires a heavier dutier handle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts