Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, two seperate things that seem to be related....

the truck is a 98 dak club cab, 5 speed, 5.2. 92000 on the clock.
the truck is pinging at anything over 1/2 throttle in second. third, fourth, and fifth. on top of that, its sloooow, and is only getting 14 MPG (highway!). i put seafoam down the throttle body and cleaned the upper intake and chambers. put fuel injector cleaner through the tank, did a tune up, and the old plugs were pure white, which indicates to me that the truck is dead lean. the new plugs are reading the same.

it doesnt appear to have a blown belly pan gasket, no vacuum leaks.
the truck will also lay down when you get on it. just doesnt seem to run the way a v-8 with 3.91's should.

so ive checked everything i can think to do. i dont know where to go from here. fuel injector cleaner hasnt made any difference, and neither did the tune up or combustion chamber cleaning. its not throwing any codes, so im lost. please, feel free to make suggestions, y'all. i dont wanna start throwing parts at this truck. i cant afford it.

Michael

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hmmm.... not too sure!

Hopefully others will back me on this one, jump in and help. Because I am just gonna throw a few thoughts.. Have you put a gauge on the relief valve on the driverside fuel injection rail? See if its super low, I run 50-60 lbs of fuel pressure on mine constant. I could be on the complete wrong track, but my thoughts are fuel pump/filter(its all in the tank.) or possibly PCM not working properly? Hope that helps little bit bud. Take it easy let me know how it goes what you find. A.J.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bought a fuel pressure gauge tonight. fuel pressure is steady at 48 PSI. is that about right?

michael

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just noticing new things, really. it will ony do it at full operating temperature, above 2500 RPM. also, if you let off, you can hear it popping in the exhaust track, much like an old carburated/glasspack vehicle. so, maybe that will help.

Michael

·
I bleed MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
232 Posts
are you burning oil it all or consuming?

The belly pan would be a good bet but I know there is a TSB out fot spark-knock on the v8 magnum motors. A buddy of mine had the same shit everyone thought it was a belly pan. Took it to a dealer and they flashed the computer for and the pinging and oil consumption went away.
Kevin

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
71_Demon said:
are you burning oil it all or consuming?

The belly pan would be a good bet but I know there is a TSB out fot spark-knock on the v8 magnum motors. A buddy of mine had the same shit everyone thought it was a belly pan. Took it to a dealer and they flashed the computer for and the pinging and oil consumption went away.
Kevin

souds like they put the *Death falsh* on his truck. :sorry:

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
dusterbd13 said:
just noticing new things, really. it will ony do it at full operating temperature, above 2500 RPM. also, if you let off, you can hear it popping in the exhaust track, much like an old carburated/glasspack vehicle. so, maybe that will help.

Michael
what temp is your truck running at?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so far i found a catalytic converter that had chunked a turned sideways. wasnt rattling, but i checked it with the old deadblow hammer method. i was shot. replaced that last night. made a huge difference. ive also noticed that the heater, when you dont touch the controls, will get hotter and cooler, leading me to believe a themostat is sticking. that will be replaced sunday with a hight flow 180 t-stat, as well as a new lower hose for good measure.

any other suggestions?

Michael

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
sounds like bad plug wires

Hi I have had pinging problems with mine as well. I have hunted ,researched, wrenched and farted around with it to try to get it to stop. After all was said and done I found out that on these late model cryco motors the way the plug wires are routed is VERY important. I changed mine a while back as part of a tune up and never in a million years thought the routing would make any kind of difference. All other old style motors you just ran them so they looked the neatest possible and u were done. Not so anymore. I found an article on the net about this and tried it after fighting with the problem the way you are. Just google 5.2 engine ping and you will find the article. It applies for v6 as well. I tried it with new plugs and wires and immediate were the results. it still pings a little from time to time but with midgrade gas and injector cleaner once in awhile it is a rare occurance. Hwystar

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
pinging or ponging?

could be something simple like a bad O 2 sensor. It can cause your engine to crap out when you put on the gas and cause pinging because it orders the computer to lean out the gas mixture. Just a thought.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
dusterbd13 said:
bought a fuel pressure gauge tonight. fuel pressure is steady at 48 PSI. is that about right?

michael
yup. you know what i have done in the past with my v8 ram? i changed the back two spark plugs to a one step colder type plug, and changed the thermostat to a 180 degree one. try it, and run it. see what happens. cured my pinging issue.

reason i did this, is the back two cylinders run the absolute hottest out of all the otheres. they are the last two cylinders to see the water in the track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.