Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've seen quite a few posts on swapping engines for similar displacement models.

I'm thinking to do a full restoration on my Durango. I'm wondering what size engines I can look into swapping out that would fit.

A hellcat would be sick but a little too pricey and I couldn't imagine that I'd be able to use it as a daily driver and reliably tow anything.

Maybe a viper motor or a hemi?

Looking forward to the answers!

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
98 Posts
Hemi swaps are most common and can be relatively affordable if you know how to fabricate and rewire an engine compartment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that! That's what I was looking at too. I was reading that the gen 1 viper engines too we're also repurposed 5.9 magnums.

To give more context, rather than buying a new vehicle, I'm wondering if I can restomod my Durango and actually come out better than buying a new one.

I'd want a lot more horsepower because well...you know...that's always nice.

I'd also need to be able to tow and ideally get 150k miles on the motor for this to be feasible.

Hemi is seeming like the winner at the moment.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
98 Posts
The Viper V10 may have started out as an LA-based block, but getting one to bolt into a Dakota or Durango and run properly would be a nightmare. Especially when compared to the relative ease of a Hemi swap.

What year and engine is in your Durango currently? Is it two or four wheel drive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 2003 Durango, 4.7, 4x4

I was anticipating having to swap out the tranny with whatever mod I go with. Do you know what sort of mileage does the stock transmission gets? Are you able to bolt it on to a higher output hemi? Should you?

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
98 Posts
That's where my knowledge falls off a cliff. My truck's a manual, so I haven't researched anything to do with automatic transmissions. I remember reading somewhere that the 4.7 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Hemi, so your transmission may be able to bolt right up to it. You're going to have to read more about that, though because I'm not positive.

As far as transmission longevity is concerned, I had a 2000 5.9 Durango a couple of years ago and the auto trans in that one was kind of a pain in the ass. It had to be rebuilt once, but then never really shifted right after that. I'm not sure how they do behind a Hemi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts