Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've seen quite a few posts on swapping engines for similar displacement models.

I'm thinking to do a full restoration on my Durango. I'm wondering what size engines I can look into swapping out that would fit.

A hellcat would be sick but a little too pricey and I couldn't imagine that I'd be able to use it as a daily driver and reliably tow anything.

Maybe a viper motor or a hemi?

Looking forward to the answers!

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
122 Posts
Hemi swaps are most common and can be relatively affordable if you know how to fabricate and rewire an engine compartment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that! That's what I was looking at too. I was reading that the gen 1 viper engines too we're also repurposed 5.9 magnums.

To give more context, rather than buying a new vehicle, I'm wondering if I can restomod my Durango and actually come out better than buying a new one.

I'd want a lot more horsepower because well...you know...that's always nice.

I'd also need to be able to tow and ideally get 150k miles on the motor for this to be feasible.

Hemi is seeming like the winner at the moment.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
122 Posts
The Viper V10 may have started out as an LA-based block, but getting one to bolt into a Dakota or Durango and run properly would be a nightmare. Especially when compared to the relative ease of a Hemi swap.

What year and engine is in your Durango currently? Is it two or four wheel drive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 2003 Durango, 4.7, 4x4

I was anticipating having to swap out the tranny with whatever mod I go with. Do you know what sort of mileage does the stock transmission gets? Are you able to bolt it on to a higher output hemi? Should you?

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
122 Posts
That's where my knowledge falls off a cliff. My truck's a manual, so I haven't researched anything to do with automatic transmissions. I remember reading somewhere that the 4.7 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Hemi, so your transmission may be able to bolt right up to it. You're going to have to read more about that, though because I'm not positive.

As far as transmission longevity is concerned, I had a 2000 5.9 Durango a couple of years ago and the auto trans in that one was kind of a pain in the ass. It had to be rebuilt once, but then never really shifted right after that. I'm not sure how they do behind a Hemi.

·
I drive with two feet
1,621 Posts
My truck's a manual, so I haven't researched anything to do with automatic transmissions.
What manual transmission do you have behind your Hemi? I am just getting ideas for a Hemi swap in my 4.7L Dakota QC should it ever be necessary and I can swing it. It has the NV3500 manual trans. I'd like to entertain dropping in a Hemi, keeping it manual with a unit that can handle the power and weight/towing load.

I know a TR6060 and T56 will take the engine's power, but aren't rated for towing or high GCWR loads and not sure if they will fit. The NV3500 is rated for 300 lbs/ft input TQ, so I'm not sure how long it would hold up behind a Hemi. Perhaps it can be built to handle more power?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
122 Posts
I'm still running the stock 4.7 and an NV3500. If I ever get around to a Hemi swap, I'm going with the TR6060. The NV3500 isn't great for performance applications because it's too much of a truck transmission. Big, sloppy throws and synchros that don't like to be rushed. Plus I don't trust it under the power of a Hemi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts