Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I plan on gearing my 01 Dak QC (4.7 auto). I currently have 3.55's and feel its a pig!

I have a few buddies who got aftermarket gears for there trucks and they all whine. So they started going to OEM gears and then they were quiet.

Anyone experiance this?

also, What front axle does my 01 dak have? I tried google, searching here, looking on website to buy gears.. etc etc..

Even on ram airs website they have the 7.25s ,dana 30 and the 8.0s but they seem to skip over the 01's (some go to 00 and others start at 2002)

Thanks!

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
I've got Motive's front and rear. VERY minor whine on decel, nothing annoying...I find it cool for some reason. :huh:

Front axle is a c205mm. This started in 2000 for the Dak/Dur chassis. This is also the same front axle as used in 2002-current 1500 Rams.

NOTE - The Rams' c205mm uses the same gearset, but larger pinion bearings. Be SURE that you get bearings for the Dakota/Durango axle. Not knowing this bit of information added nearly $300 to my gear swap total.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
yeah richmond gears are known to whine and i have been told by shops to stay away from them. since mopar is offering most of the sets now it makes sense to stick with them, but they can be more expensive. the 1st set i put in were yukons because at the time there wasn't many options for our front and this was the better choice. now there are many more companies supporting us. the yukons only had a real faint whine and i never had a problem with them until this year when i had some bearing failures and destroyed my pinion gear. that wasn't the gearset's fault though, it was most likely a bad install and improper pinion depth. the shop replaced them with something else which i forget, but they do whine more than the others. i even took it back and had them readjust it again and they still do it, but only between 50-60mph.

the front is known also as the 8" IFS along with c205mm. up until a few years ago you would only get a blank stare from shops when they were confronted about it but now it's been out long enough that you should be able to get service anywhere.

which gear ratio are you planning on using and what tire size?

oh yeah, something else is you should also install some type of LSD or locker along with your gear install because you won't want to pay to have the process done again later. that is unless you already have a stock LSD, but they aren't that great to begin with and would be wise to upgrade. i am so kicking myself for not getting one when i had the chance. i hate having an open diff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man!

yeah, I love to Race (cars/trucks) and go off road and this is the first car I ever had to have a open rear. Drives me nutz!

My plan was to go with 4.56s, truetrack, and the 02 Jeep TCM.

Dont see ANY selectable locker choices for the front though... :-(

·
17,623 Posts
I'm running Motive 4.10s and can't say I notice any whine, but my exhaust covers up a lot of sounds. A lot of how much they whine comes from how good the install was. A good set of gears will whine very loudly if not installed properly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, you are 100% right. But when they are set good I want them as quiet as possible.

Ill shim them 100 times if I gotta!

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
There are no LSD options for the front axle...you wouldn't want anyhting up tehre anyway. Front axle is prone to breaking and being a live axle, it'd always be binding up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have Motive as well, really no whine, but exhaust and tire humm, hard to tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts