Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Semper Fi
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it good for my 02 3.9 5spd (NV3500) I need to replace the fluid because the truck is getting close to 90,000 miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used it in my old 03 dakota with the nv3500 and really liked it. Especially considering it is 7.00 compared to 19.00 for the mopar stuff and 18.00 for RP. I would use it.

Also my truck had 130,000 miles and shifted great even when the temps were 0 or below.

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
I've tried Amsoil in my tranny and I didn't like the way the shifts felt. So I went with the Pennzoil juice and it felt so much better. It takes 2 liters which is 2.25 qts

·
Resleeves rnaz's borings
9,536 Posts
I used the mopar stuff in my recent change. Worked great but I think the dealer undercharged me. $18 for 6 quarts...lol

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
That was a great retail purchase. I bought 5 bottles on eBay - $21 shipped!

·
Semper Fi
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got done changing it. lol found out i only had about 1/2 quart in there!!! Anyways, i took the truck for a test drive right after and when i really get on the gas, 2nd gear grinds when i try to shift for about 5 sec the slips in. it seems a little notchy throughout the rest of the gears. I'm thinking i may need to let this oil cycle through for about 100 miles then change it again. I saw a crap ton of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. Any suggestions on what this is would be helpful!!

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
Just got done changing it. lol found out i only had about 1/2 quart in there!!! Anyways, i took the truck for a test drive right after and when i really get on the gas, 2nd gear grinds when i try to shift for about 5 sec the slips in. it seems a little notchy throughout the rest of the gears. I'm thinking i may need to let this oil cycle through for about 100 miles then change it again. I saw a crap ton of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. Any suggestions on what this is would be helpful!!
:sorry: bud, this thread now has to go to the Bad News forum.:huh:
Grinding in gear is a sign you are in need of a rebuild or new trans. Only way to know is tear it apart and check the damage.
Manual or automatic transmission, either needs the fluid changed between 20K to 30K miles intervals.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,227 Posts
My guess:

found out i only had about 1/2 quart in there!!!

·
Semper Fi
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thats not the news i was hoping for on a sunday morning. what all goes in to rebuilding a transmission .. i have never done this before

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
Manual or automatic transmission, either needs the fluid changed between 20K to 30K miles intervals.
Not true, the manual trannies in our trucks don't require a fluid change, it's good for the life of the vehicle. The Mopar fluid is a synthetic oil.

I'm curious to know how you only had 1/2 a quart in the tranny? Did you see any leaks or wets spots on the tranny case, when changing the fluid?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Check your synchros. I had that probem in my Cavalier, had to let the engine drop down before it would go into 3rd gear. Eventually it got so bad that I had to skip over third gear. Then 4th gear went bad. Then it cost me 2200 for a junkyard trans and new clutch.

So yea, get this figured out now while it is still a relatively cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Check your synchros. I had that probem in my Cavalier, had to let the engine drop down before it would go into 3rd gear. Eventually it got so bad that I had to skip over third gear. Then 4th gear went bad. Then it cost me 2200 for a junkyard trans and new clutch.

So yea, get this figured out now while it is still a relatively cheap fix.
I agree with this. I had syncro issues between my 1st and 2nd gear shift for a few years. The symptoms are a grinding when shifting and it won't go in gear unless below 2000 rpms. I worked around it by starting out in 2nd. This got me through a few years. It got real bad last year where it wouldn't even stay engaged in 2nd gear. I finally got my tranny overhauled. Got it done through a friend and it only set me back 450 bucks. I don't even want to think of what a shop would have charged me.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I agree with this. I had syncro issues between my 1st and 2nd gear shift for a few years. The symptoms are a grinding when shifting and it won't go in gear unless below 2000 rpms. I worked around it by starting out in 2nd. This got me through a few years. It got real bad last year where it wouldn't even stay engaged in 2nd gear. I finally got my tranny overhauled. Got it done through a friend and it only set me back 450 bucks. I don't even want to think of what a shop would have charged me.
By the time mine started popping out of gear, the tranny exploded when they took it apart.

600 dollars of that was clutch because it was pissing fluid on the clutch disk. Aamco said I still had another 50 thousand miles on that clutch :rant:

·
Semper Fi
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well took the truck for a nice little drive to see if there were any other issues as far as the tranny is concerned. Starting in 1st is fine, starting in 2nd is fine. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, or from 3rd to 2nd causes a good grind until the rpms get below 1500, and it only happens on a cold engine. When the engine is warm, everything is fine. All other gears are just fine, just 2nd gear. I'll probable get the truck to a shop to check the syncros because I don't know the first thing about trannies, and I don't want to screw anything up more than it already is. Bad part is, the Dakota is my daily driver. My wife needs her car everyday (newborn baby) and its way to cold to ride my motorcycle. So hopefully it will be fine until I can get it check out.

Also, I don't remember seeing any we spots or anything. The engine also burns about 1/2 quart every 5000 miles, maybe I just need to stick to a tranny flush every 20000-30000 miles just as a fale safe.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
By the time mine started popping out of gear, the tranny exploded when they took it apart.

600 dollars of that was clutch because it was pissing fluid on the clutch disk. Aamco said I still had another 50 thousand miles on that clutch :rant:
That sucks! my clutch only had about 10% life left. 600 bucks? Damn thats alot. Glad i got a friend that hooked me up. He got my clutch replaced for just the cost of parts.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Well took the truck for a nice little drive to see if there were any other issues as far as the tranny is concerned. Starting in 1st is fine, starting in 2nd is fine. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, or from 3rd to 2nd causes a good grind until the rpms get below 1500, and it only happens on a cold engine. When the engine is warm, everything is fine. All other gears are just fine, just 2nd gear. I'll probable get the truck to a shop to check the syncros because I don't know the first thing about trannies, and I don't want to screw anything up more than it already is. Bad part is, the Dakota is my daily driver. My wife needs her car everyday (newborn baby) and its way to cold to ride my motorcycle. So hopefully it will be fine until I can get it check out.

Also, I don't remember seeing any we spots or anything. The engine also burns about 1/2 quart every 5000 miles, maybe I just need to stick to a tranny flush every 20000-30000 miles just as a fale safe.
You should be fine for a few months until you can ride your bike. Just dont sit on it, if you find a few days of gorgeous weather in the middle of march get it in the shop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts