Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed mopar PCM but truck won't start now. any ideas? I've cleared the PCM with disconnecting the negative battery cable and holding key in start position. anything else I'm over look'n? :confused:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Did you disconnect the neg. battery lead before removing the old PCM and before installing the new PCM? Was the new PCM flashed with your VIN code?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
disconnected pos battery cable before disconnect. reconnected and cleared PCM. I also have a factory alarm. I was told I didn't need to flash the VIN. :huh: that way I could sell it if I needed to.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after messing with it some more this morning this is what I have
two codes
920 gear shift forward actuator circuit open
921 gear shift forward actuator CTK range/perf

followed by a no bus sign

gauges aren't reading either and no fuel pump prime

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Try putting back the original PCM. If it works ok, I'k thinking the mopar PCM got zapped (hit with static electricity) or is flashed for another vehicle. Keep us informed.

Reactions: STEVO01

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ScojoDak said:
Try putting back the original PCM. If it works ok, I'k thinking the mopar PCM got zapped (hit with static electricity) or is flashed for another vehicle. Keep us informed.
I've had my PCM in and out 6 times today..... the oem works great. I got the wront codes descriptions.

920 The cluster is not receiving a vehicle message from the PCM.
921 The cluster is not receiving a distance pulse message from the PCM

1. Check the PCM software level and reflash if required.
2. Use a DRB III scan tool to verify that the vehicle speed message is being sent by the PCM

I'm starting to think it got zapped by our friendly post office.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not knowing it all but I’m almost positive that the PCM should be flashed with your Vin number. Not every year is different but some changes are made according to factory installs.

Most PCM installs are very straightforward, a few connections and your done. Maybe the new one was bad from the start. I agree, try installing the old one and see if it works. The neg. lead on the battery must be off before disconnecting any of the connections on the PCM, one small spark and its over.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read this on manciniracing's page

1998 and later models require Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and Mileage encoding by a DaimlerChrysler franchised dealer.

I wonder if that's the problem????

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mopar rt said:
KRC use to flash the vin for 30 bucks, don't know if they still do or not.
KRC :confused:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The VIN is required to be programmed in a the new PCM otherwise the ABS dash light will be on. Once a VIN for a particular vehicle in programmed in, the VIN cannot be changed. If that PCM is used in another vehicle, the VIN does not need to match the VIN for the second vehicle. Another item is the mileage. The Mopar instructions say the mileage must be programmend in. I don't know why this is done but the das mileage is unaffected. The mileage that is displayed on the dash is not stored in the PCM. Changing the PCM will not change the dash reading.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Did you ever get you pcm problem fixed?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no. coach and I came to the conclusion that it was fried. oh well. it was worth a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts