Dakota Durango Forum banner

Parking Brake Doesn't Work...Cables Stretched?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JaxonCage 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on my 94 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2L 5spd truck and I'm having a weird issue with my parking brake. It hasn't worked since I bought the truck and goes all the way to the floor. I have just inspected and adjusted my rear brakes so I know they're all good but when I look at the adjuster it's already adjusted all the way in, so I'm wondering, have you ever seen where the cables have stretched that much? I'm figuring a couple of inches at least...seems like it's not possible. I've looked at the front cable and it doesn't look like there is any adjustment there, and I've also confirmed that everything is in the proper location (meaning the adjuster is in the right frame hole, etc). Anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks in advance for your time.

~FOX~

#2 ·
my adjuster was maxed out and didnt even make it drag.
i just removed the whole dam thing pedal and all.
but yes, the cables do stretch that much and more. my cousins 96 hangs limp when the pedal is on the floor

#4 ·
If your rear drums/shoes are worn and almost out of spec it will be hard to keep the E-brake adjusted properly.

#5 ·
i would change the middle first. the cable is 14 years old after all. and while most things 14 years old are happy and tight, cables hung under trucks, are not.

#6 ·
I have a 2010 Dodge Dakota and had the same problem with no adjustment available to take up the slack. Then I figured a solution that worked for me and now when I set the parking brake it does not roll down a hill. The solution lies in the brake pedal where the cable connects. You can insert a spacer below the cable ferrel after a simple procedure to create a working-slack. I'll try to attach photos of each step, but if they don't come through, then you can email me at cestlavie[at]freedommail.ch . In summary the procedure is as follows:
1. Tools needed = vice grips. Nothing else.
2. Press the parking brake pedal about a 1/3rd to 1/2 way down.
3. Clamp the vice grip on the exposed portion of the cable below the 'fitting' where the cable ferrel sits (picture is worth a thousand words).
4. Release the parking brake. The vice grips hold the cable in place. And to get even more slack to play with (if needed) you can hand-raise the brake pedal even higher while pulling on the release.
5. Insert a spacer below the cable ferrel. I used a copper grounding fastener (a bolt and nut, but with nut removed) that has a 5-1/2mm gap down the middle. It fit around the cable perfectly, and seems to have enough friction to stay in place. A small u-bolt would probably work too. (if it falls out in time I can try adding tape or use a u-bolt with nuts - easy to improve either way)
6. Remove the vice-grips.
7. Check brake operation. Slack is reduced by the amount of spacer thickness. Test the parking brake. Repeat process using different thickness spacers until you are satisfied. Mine worked on the first try. Good luck.
Auto part Wire Automotive exterior Bumper Suspension
Auto part Suspension Engine
Asphalt Road surface Public space Tar Road
Road surface Asphalt Public space Road Urban area
Auto part Fuel line Rust Suspension Engine
Auto part
Auto part
Rust Auto part Metal

Road surface Asphalt Public space Road Urban area

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.