Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a way to show a code? I have a 94 3.9 with basic mods(exhaust, intake, 180 stat) They flashed on once when I hit a speed bump REALLY hard, but went right off. Today, I had to drive a friend about 50 miles away and back and it came on after about 40 miles into the trip. Been on ever since. All my gauges are fine, oil is always changed between 3000 and 3500 miles using Mobil 1 synthetic. Please educate me guys...

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
there is a sensor on top of your pumpkin, this is your rear ABS speed sensor. replace that and your lights will go out. a stealership only part at this time. ~$40 or so, this is a common prob for all Dodge trucks, vans and ~Rangos.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left this morning to watch the race and have a couple beers, and now neither light comes on. I got my bud who works at a Dodge dealership to order me the speed sensor tomorrow morn, tho. Thanks, man

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
no probs... enjoy.... stupid azz JJ.... :cussing: :rant:

·
0 Posts
I had a problem with my park brake going off over bumps and turns out my parking brake was pushed in a little bit so when i hit a bump the light would go off...... try that first, maybe save some $$$

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
opps, screwed up here, though i was making a new thread...lol

jim

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
where is the speed sensor located? I was told it was by the tranny and there was a sensor there that looked like the one I had bought, but once I replaced it, the lights still came on. Is there anything else I may have to do to fix these lights and the speedo from messing up?

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Like the second posts says, it's also located on the top of your diff. If it's not that, it's a hub in the front going bad (4-wheel ABS only).

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
FYI, this part is now available thru rockauto.com, with shipping it runs about $33 bucks. Dealer price about $41.00 +tax.
Bill

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
well, I have a "check Engine" light on all the time now, and when I ran the test it said it was the speed sensor and they sold me a $28 speed sensor and said it went by the transmission? could the one on the diff be called something different?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The indicators that the sensor on the differential has gone bad are,
#1 The ABS, and Brake light on your instument cluster will be on.
#2 Your speedometer will not register under about 20mph.
Beyond that I have not experienced failure of the other sensors.
Bill

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
...they sold me a $28 speed sensor and said it went by the transmission? could the one on the diff be called something different?
"They" that you are talking about, doesn't know enough. Just take a peek under you truck, and you'll see a little thing sticking out the time of it. Can't miss it...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
There are two speed sensors. One is the transmission output sensor. It will trip a code (P-Seven hundred something). It is on the drivers side of thr rear of the tranny. If it goes bad, the vehicle may not run or shift right. The second is the ABS / speed sensor. It is on top of the differential. It will not trip a check engine code. The ABS and brake lights will be on. The vehicle will run fine but you speedo may not work at low speeds and your ABS will be disabled. The two speed sensors work together. The rear provides the speedo input below 20 mph. Above 20 mph, the tranny output sensor provides the input. I have not confirmed if the Rockauto part is the correct one for the rear. For the most part, the no places other than the dealer have the rear sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts