Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every get the stock wheels painted? I have a 1999 Hunter Green Durango with black accent part.. I think the stock wheels powdercoated black would look badass on my truck but wanted to know how it would hold up.

Is powdercoating the right way to go? Will it hold up against rocks? I'm not planning on taking full off-roading up I do sometimes hit the trails.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
[IO]ERROR said:
Anyone every get the stock wheels painted? I have a 1999 Hunter Green Durango with black accent part.. I think the stock wheels powdercoated black would look badass on my truck but wanted to know how it would hold up.

Is powdercoating the right way to go? Will it hold up against rocks? I'm not planning on taking full off-roading up I do sometimes hit the trails.

I haven't had my rims powder coated but I know a few people that have had it done and nothing bad has come from them yet. I seen a Jeep somewhere and it had a custom paint job and they also had there wheels painted to match and it was badass :woowoo:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Adam.. Now I'm just wondering who in my area can do it and how much would it cost.. Hehe

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't do it. IMO the only car that ever looked good with black rims was Kitt on Knight Rider. :)

I've seen a few people try to pull it off on various cars and trucks and it just never looks right. It always comes off looking like the wheels are just incredibly dirty.

Disclaimer: If you're a hardcore offroader and you're running black steel wheels with some huge tires, that's different. IE a yellow or red jeep with black steel wheels and 35"s = cool. But anything else.. eh... just not so impressed.

As for powder coat in general - it can and does chip off, and there's really no way to touch it up... but you'd have to talk specifically with a powdercoat shop to figure out if it would be acceptable for general use... I'd just be a bit worried every time I went to scrub or pressurewash them.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam said:
I think it would cost you around $50 a wheel
I was thinking around the same price range.. $200.00 for a nicer look isn't a bad price IMHO..

As for the black not looking right. Well I didn't want to go jet black but more of a charcoal color like the Jeep Libertys.. I think it will match the offroad look on my truck very well.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
i saw a silver dak with the stock 16s painted black...the lip and the center ram emblem was polished ...it looked pretty damn nice...

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Go for it :mullet: especially if your truck is dark colored. there's a Nascar red dakota with black stock rims picture floating around, and it looks great even with the regular center caps and silver lugs. also seen some photochops and they convinced me, i plan on getting mine blackened out someday.

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
AdamLotz said:
As for powder coat in general - it can and does chip off, and there's really no way to touch it up... but you'd have to talk specifically with a powdercoat shop to figure out if it would be acceptable for general use... I'd just be a bit worried every time I went to scrub or pressurewash them.
Well I've done a lot of powder coating, and I've never heard of it chipping or coming off from pressure washing. In fact, most of the time to get any powder coating off requires a grinder or in some cases bead or sand blasting.

Powder coating is definitely the way to go for durability on rims.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
oh yea...there is no way you are going to strip the powder coat with a pressure washer...i pressure wash my mustangs under carriage and the powgercoat has never chipped or stripped.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you do it or find any examples of how it would look im sure we would all appreciate that. I think whats important in your final decision would be if you thought it would look nice not what anyone else thinks. :evil:

·
Likes More Power!
282 Posts
AdamLotz said:
IMO the only car that ever looked good with black rims was Kitt on Knight Rider. :)
Yeah, I guess there is something cool about a Trans Am with black wheels :D :

I used some wheel paint from Eastwood to do these and they have held up pretty good.

I have a low res pic of a D with a poor photoshop of black R/T wheels:

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
my truck came from the factory with black rims. go to the photo section and look for yourself to see what they look like. i like it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
black rims

i would not go for jet black on hunter green, i think i grey or gunmetal would look nice,powdercoating is deff a good idea it holds up really good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts