Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have the same bumper cover and I have been told by a few good body shops that it will peel. I just Bought a painted cover from a 03 RT and the grille shell for $100. The cover even has the stock fog light in it. My body man is going to prep and paint everything in the spring for $250. You should have just kept the Stillin cover that you had.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, but I am wanting to go with something a little more dramatic, like the sniper bumper. I was wonder if my stock one could be painted for a back up in case some thing happens to the new one I want to get. After having the painted one, the plastic just looks stupid and cheap.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yes your right, the SXT bumper cover looks cheap and shitty. It is not worth the time or money to have it painted, since it will peel. I am going to give my SXT bumper cover away inthe spring so if anyone wants a free one to play with they can have at it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
guehner- Is the SXT bumper just a unpainted plastic/urethane one? If so I don't see why it couldn't be painted. As long as the shop preps it right and uses some kind of adhesion promoter you shouldn't have any problems with chipping/peeling.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
PeteKach said:
guehner- Is the SXT bumper just a unpainted plastic/urethane one? If so I don't see why it couldn't be painted. As long as the shop preps it right and uses some kind of adhesion promoter you shouldn't have any problems with chipping/peeling.
The bumper we have is very textured and I have spoke with a few very good shop and they said that the prep work it would take to make it look right would not be worth it and it still might chip or peel real bad. The 03-04 SXT front bumper cover is a POS and is good for nothing.

·
gettin hearing aids by 30
510 Posts
it would look funny if you did not sand off the texture.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I still say get a smoot paintable cover and do it right. I can't wait for the winter to be over so I can get my painted bumper cover and grille put on.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
suffolk_mopar said:
my front bumper is textured, scuffed it, used adhesion promoter,primed and painted. has been painted for 8 months with no problems.
I did the same thing with the rear plastics about 3months ago and haven't had any problems either, but it won't have to stand up to the wind and other abuse like the front bumper.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
dave2003 said:
I did the same thing with the rear plastics about 3months ago and haven't had any problems either, but it won't have to stand up to the wind and other abuse like the front bumper.
I might try is on the reat as well, but like you said the front takes alot of abuse. The bumper caps are alot smaller so they will not show the imperfection s near as bad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Those bumpers can be painted if done right, prep and all means the world but I wouldn't paint it and leave it textured. I would prep it, lay a good primer down, about 3 coats, block it down till its smooth and then paint it. If you do that it will have a nice smooth metal look to it instead of it looking like it has a rash. The truck in the pic below was my 2003 GMC I bought new, the lower front cover was a unpainted textured cover and I did the steps that I just told you and it worked great, truck has 28,000 miles on it now and is still fine! :biggthump

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
WUWU20 said:
Those bumpers can be painted if done right, prep and all means the world but I wouldn't paint it and leave it textured. I would prep it, lay a good primer down, about 3 coats, block it down till its smooth and then paint it. If you do that it will have a nice smooth metal look to it instead of it looking like it has a rash. The truck in the pic below was my 2003 GMC I bought new, the lower front cover was a unpainted textured cover and I did the steps that I just told you and it worked great, truck has 28,000 miles on it now and is still fine! :biggthump
Your right, but to have a shop do all hat work is just not worht it to me. Your GMC is sweet looking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.