Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
REGISTERED ABUSER
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ight so i got this free stillen bumper cover with scratches in the dark gray paint...i have a silver truck.....i started to sand it down...soon to have pixs

im a decent painter wit spray cans n walls....

so whats the best way to prime/sand/paint/clear...???

any help so this will look good??im dealing with pepboys so they cant tell me rite way...

any help if you did this before.....???

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
If you insist on doing this w/spray cans (wouldn't cost you that much @ a paint shop), try to find both primer, base and clear coats w/a flex agent for plastics - otherwise you will have more problems than just a few scratches...

Good luck. FYI - I found a guy @ one of the "mill" paint shops in STL that did both the bumper cover and wiper cowl for $250. He prepped everything for me - I just provided the parts.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
If you got that bumper for free (i wanted it but was too late) you damn well better get it professionally painted and post up installed pics. I dobut you will like the results with rattle cans, especially if you are posting up looking for help. It takes tons of practice to get rattle cans too look perfect.

Get it done proffessionally, you will be better off. Besides, you already got it for free, and sanded it yourself. They wont charge that much.

·
REGISTERED ABUSER
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have skill wit paint can..just never urthane bumper

thats for the help.....

20 bucks or 250???ill try first if it looks even a lil bad ill go get it painted

you will hear about it on monday :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get it profesionally painted, It'll look 10 times better. Look at my roll pan for instance, it was in a wreck (literally), all scrached to hell, gouged, even a place where the urethane was punctured. I traded my stock tb for it, sent it to a body shop and you cant even tell it was damaged at all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
platinumDAK said:
i have skill wit paint can..just never urthane bumper

thats for the help.....

20 bucks or 250???ill try first if it looks even a lil bad ill go get it painted

you will hear about it on monday :wave:

They'll charge you even more to take that spray can crap off the bumper before they can do it the right way. Double job = waste of time and money!

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
dude have a shop do it. spray bombing is not a good idea for a bumper cover.

·
REGISTERED ABUSER
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ight...you were all right! :clap2:

it looks like shitand the color is off..so now i get to sand all the shit back off..and still pay a pro to do it... :redx:

ill have pixs when its done.....

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
platinumDAK said:
ight...you were all right! :clap2:

it looks like shitand the color is off..so now i get to sand all the shit back off..and still pay a pro to do it... :redx:

ill have pixs when its done.....
:slap: :buttkick:

sorry to hear you did all that work for nothing. You, should have took pics of after you painted it, then compare your painting skills to the pros. hehe

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I hate to say told ya so. one thing i have learned cheaper is not always better.

·
REGISTERED ABUSER
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it dint look that bad......it was mainly the color being a lil off

ill keep to painting small stuff.... :biggthump

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Told ya so. Oh well, its gonna look great on your truck once its done right and you still made out okay getting it for free and all. Post up some pics when its finished.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts