Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I just picked up a APC fiberglass rollpan and I was wondering if it was possibly to do a decent job color matching it with prep and then spray cans of color and clear, if not how much would it cost to get painted at a body shop

P.S. What grip do you guys suggest to sand after 2-3 coats of primer

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
You might get the color close, but the finish will never look the same as if a good body shop painted it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't recomend using spray cans. MiniMoto is correct. The finish won't look right and there is probably going to be a durability issue. Have a paint shop do it. If you want to cut some cost you can have them use a singlestage paint (color and clear all-in-one) instead of a base/clear system. For durability, use a two component paint (one that requires a hardener )
Shop around.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I spent $250 at a body shop for the total package -rollpan,paint,install. Somethings to consider, find a buddy or call around you should find a deal out there,also depending on the maker there's issues with the stock license plate lights at a different angle (the lights shine at the edges not the middle) so address these before paint.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
It really depends on how anal you are about your truck.

If you want to be able to wax the thing and not be able to tell it wasn't on there from the factory, DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF! If you want it to look nice, but don't care if it's perfect, a rattle can job *DONE PROPERLY will look just fine. I matched my buddies Intense Blue Pearl with T359 Duplicolor paint almost perfectly. When it was totally clean, and freshly waxed, you could tell a slight difference in the clear coat finish. Mine was actually smoother (I had about 7 coats of clear, and I colorsanded everystep of the way (2000Grit) and then polished the clear up BY HAND (that's a PITA)... If I had the patience, I think I could get a truck to look amazing! LMAO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts