Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Your hero
561 Posts
First off... how do you plan on painting it? Rattle can or with a real gun? Nothing can match the look of a real gun but you gotta buy alot of stuff if you want to do it like that. With something so small I would probably have a body shop do it if the tools were not avaliable to me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i've considered buying one of those grilles on e-bay but worried about fit and finish........can you let me know how nice it fits once you've installed it? i have a factory chrome grille and want a painted grille to match my black dak. i've found painted black grilles for as little as $50.00 but i'm figuring you get what you pay for???!!!

thanks in advance.

moe

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anthony said:
If you take your time and practice a bit with the spray cans, you can get the exact same results as a paint gun.
I'm so nervous to try and paint anything myself with spray cans... the stuff on your site looks like it came out great though :biggthump

·
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Need a couple more opinions

Ok....got my stuff Thursday, I might start working on it later. My question is, what is the best way I should prepare the grille for paint? I've read 2 or 3 differant ways. My biggest concern is right before I primer. Someone said I should sand the grille before I primer....should I? Or should I just primer? The company I got my paint from through in a pointer sheet, but doesn't really say how to prep plastic, so any help on this will be appreciated.....Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
i just painted some mirrors i purchased with spray cans and accept for a couple of runs they look great. I sanded with 320 grit paper then cleaned with a prep spray then wiped with tack cloth the put on on three coats of primer which filled in the scratches waited 24 hours then laid down the base coat the first coat on one of the mirrors ran because i tried to put too much on (lessoned learned) after that about 5 light coats. Then the clear coat used the whole can for that. this was my first painting job so all and all pretty good. the runs are on the bottom of the mirror so i guess its ok.
1 can base coat pr4 flame red $25.00
1 can primer $9.95 half a can remaining
1 can clear coat 14.95
satisfaction of doing it yourself pricelss :rofl:

ps get a respirator that stuff is funky and burns your nose

·
Your hero
561 Posts
You sanded down to the primer? What grit parer were you using? You should have been using like 1200 or 1500 with plenty of water. By the way it sounds I would just do a few more coats of the color and re-clear it. I mean you could try to buff it.. but if you're hitting primer in one aera the clear is probably gone in other aeras.. I just say re-spray and be more carefull this time :D

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I have the stock chrome grill and i might sand it down and paint it. I had a shop that was going to to it for $50 and i did not let them, like a dumb ass. Well stick with it and you will get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.