Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
About a week ago I bought a 2000 darker gray durango. While it was parked on the street, sometime at night, it got a fluorescent green paint ball shot at the side of it. It was about 10 or so hours before I went out and noticed it so by that time it was dry. I washed it off and took it to a self car wash where I spent about 2 hours washing and using polishing compound on it. Unfortunately nothing has helped and I am left with a light "splat" mark and run marks down the side of the door. I have read that paintballs are nothing more than vegetable oil with food coloring, so I thought dawn would work. Guess not. Anyone have any ideas for getting rid of this stain without painting it.
Thanks

·
July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
Try waxing that area, that should take it out

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
wet sand with a 2000 grit paper (note: use a few drops of car soap in the water you are using, this helps to keep the sand paper clean wile your scrubbing), then buff out with a slow paced buffer. just an idea for ya.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, unfortunately nothing has worked. I forgot to add that I rewaxed it that night when i was compounding and washing it. It actually didnt look that bad (it was night). But when I was looking at it in daylight it has a almost reflective white stain. Im gonna drop by a body shop to see if they have any miracles they can perform.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, that defnintly is not field paint, Cause where I play my friends house is on the property and one night we riddled his house as a joke with hot pink paint, and the next day it rained and pretty much washed right off, other then that nothing a little high pressure nozzle on a garden hose wouldn't take off

G

·
florescent green sounds like evil paint which can be bought at my field as premium quality field paint and is fairly expensive so atleast you got hit my some good stuff :sorry: , i had some stain my line-x over a year ago and it still hasnt come out the pigment in that paint loves to stain if you let it dry

·
Registered
404 Posts
tis what u do, washed the area with dawn soap since u jus waxed it(will not take out, sorry rich), try a clay bar (clay magic) go get some from auto zone, dont scrub too hard unless it doesnt come out, if that doesnt work use the same lube that comes w/ the clay bar and get some 2500-3000 gritt sandpaper, if u need more instructions on how to wet sand pm me, dnt do it unless u have a general idea of what ur doing u can ruin ur paint, after its out polish with a quality compound, then a polish, then a glaze, then wax
btw: what compound were u using?

·
Registered
415 Posts
watch the greased lightning man cause if you leave it on to long it will eat through the paint. I used it on a range hood one time and left it for about 5 minutes to soak through the grease and when I hit it with the hose the paint literaly flew off of it. Good stuff man ,I use so much of it I just by the refills. the stuff will even etch aluminum.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, i didnt know people were still posting on this. Since it first happened I washed it about 10 times, with light grit polishing compound, dawn soap and a whole lot of pressure. After all that work it has started to disappear alot and the milky whiteness of it has sorta dissappeard. In bright direct sunlight you can still see the outline of it. Ill probably give the clay bar a shot then maybe wet sand. I think im the only one that has taken care of the finish in acouple years, so im thinking i might wetsand/polish/buff the whole car to get it back to new. theres just so much surface area to cover :( I thank everyone for their tips with my "crisis"

·
Blown and Squirted
2,513 Posts
EasyOff oven cleaner will take anything off. Handled my painted pinstripe nicely. Dont let it sit on the paint for more then 30 secs without neutralizing it with gallons and gallons of water from the hose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Strange. I had found a couple yellow paint ball splats on my white Dakota, that my son tells me he noticed a few days earlier (and didn't bother to tell me). I wiped it all completely off with the swipe of a damp (water) paper towel and that was it. I guess I got lucky, but I was under the impression that paint balls were designed not to stain.

G

·
TattooedCarrot said:
Strange. I had found a couple yellow paint ball splats on my white Dakota, that my son tells me he noticed a few days earlier (and didn't bother to tell me). I wiped it all completely off with the swipe of a damp (water) paper towel and that was it. I guess I got lucky, but I was under the impression that paint balls were designed not to stain.

they will stain if not cleaned quickly with soap and water if allowed to either bake in or sit on clothing for a while it will most defiantly stain i have quite a few shirts that i wear underneth my jersey when i play that have random paint stains from me not caring, and i used to think the same think about car paint till my uncle decided he wanted to paint his work trailer up with my electro and pump well now his black trailer looks quite funny

the reason is that so as to defuse the person who would want to wipe a hit it leaves a stain on skin and clothing until washed out and the good stuff is hard to wipe off of everything even after the round is over

·
Registered
19 Posts
zEus said:
they will stain if not cleaned quickly with soap and water if allowed to either bake in or sit
Yea that's what I'm saying is odd. I'm in SoCal and its warm/dry here. A couple yellow paint balls were sitting on my white truck for a good 2-3 days before I realized it (I drive an employer's car to and from work) and even then it all wiped right off with a wet paper towel, just water,no soap. I guess I got lucky, they must have been a sucky brand of paint balls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.