Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clear coat around the top of the tail gate and bed rails, is peeling off. I'm going to get the whole truck painted and the shop I took it to said the most expensive thing would be the prep. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with sanding and primer or any advice of what I could do to get the truck in a condition easier to paint and to save some money!
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
243 Posts
Paint

I have a friend in the paint supplies industry, I will give him a call tomorrow. You could also try sending "downlowrango" a PM, you can find his info in the photo forums, he is a painter by trade. I'll post whatever I find out. Later.

A

·
0 Posts
body prep

if were you, i would just do the bed it self, if nothing else is peeling. As for prep just get a sander and some 400 grit sand paper,dont sand the paint off; just cut the top layer. just to give some thing for the new paint to stick to, you do not need any primer unless you go down to bare metal. Anthing you dont want sanded, take it off or mask it off . you dont have to sand the paint off, because the old paint will act as a primer. But i would check with the shop your going to they may want all the paint off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i want to paint the whole truck or do two tone or something. How much should a descent paint job cost and do you know of a good paint shops?

Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
A decent paint job is going to cost over $2000, a show quality job can cost $5000 or more. When I painted my 68 Barracuda it cost about $800 for the paint, clear coat, primer, reducers and activators. This was for top shelf Dupont Chroma materials and you could save a couple of hundred with the lower grade paints from Dupont or PPG.

A

·
0 Posts
yeah i agree with dgc, at body shops do usualy charge about that much for a decent paint job, i dont know how much materials would be for your truck, depends on color and brand and grade of paint. like for a PINT of DuPont Chroma Base in DEep amethist, witch is the color of my truck, would be $50.00 and you need about 12 pints or gallon and 1/2 , so that would equal out to $600 , just for paint. the rest are labor charges, and crap like that.but thats like the top paint from Dupont, there are cheaper versions. Syrt: i left you a private message, check it out and give me a call if your interested.:cool:

T

·
0 Posts
I went to a shop around my area to get a estimate. I was told $3,000 to change the color. Just one basic color nothin custom no graphics, or anyhting like that. Thats in the engine bay door jabs inside the bed etc etc. The guy said it would be show quality. I've seen some their work, and it's nice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
$3000 sounds like a good deal to me! :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I just got my truck back from the body shop, I had to replace both right side doors, and I had to save some money for a reason that is a BS reason so I picked up some doors off a junkyard Durango. Doors were in great shape, needed a little bondo but nothing fancy. But all I did was took a sanding block and some 320 grit wet dry sand paper and sanded the clear coat until it was not shinny anymore. Were it was pealing you could take some 220 and smooth it out.
Also to save a lot of money you can disassemble the doors or anything that the body shop would need to remove in order to paint the vehicle, keep the pieces at your house and then bring it to the shop. Have them just paint it and then when you get it back reassemble the parts you took off. By doing the pre work myself, the body shop was going to charge $2600 to do all the work, I saved $1000 dollars. And I might add the new cost of $1600 included getting my new hood, grill, bumper, rain guards, fiberglass sub box, and fiberglass ps2-xbox rack, all painted included in the cost.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Before.....

During..........

After.........

As you can see they didn't primer the enire truck, just the damaged areas. Total job was $2,000.....outside, door jams, inside of hood, but not engine bay, and inside of bed is painted, but no clear coat. If I could do it all over again I'd pay extra for them to primer the entire truck because of have a few very small rock chips.....and this would go unoticed if it wasn't for the red paint showing through which sucks. But only I know every inch of my truck and is barely noticable to anyone else.

I wasn't going for show quality and this is 100 times better than what it looked like with all the key marks, dents and scrapes..you get what you paid for....remember, it's a 97!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts