Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well took the plunge today had bigger tires install.

2003 Club Cab 4x4, no lift, no trim.

Replaced the P245/70R16's

I still may crank the Torsion bars 1.5" just because I can. but nice to know they fit well with out it.

·
A GUY
473 Posts
nice! Can you get a picture of the bumper clearance with the wheels turned? So no rub at all. I really want the 265/75's , I Just dont want to trim.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
absolutely no rubbing on street.

I still have to check out if it rubs under full articulation. I will get around to that this weekend I hope.

I will shoot a few more pics for u then

·
A GUY
473 Posts
Good to hear, I am eager to see how they do off road. I'll look forward to your review.

·
A GUY
473 Posts
:bump: Just curious if you got a chance to get offroad and try out the tires? Any rub yet? It would be nice to know if I can get away with using that size since it really opens up my options for tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, weather and time didnt cooperate this weekend. But I did cut through a open field real quick. No rubbing, although I kept speeds low as to not tear up the field. The closest I was able to cut the front tire clearance was about 3/4 inch from the front fender.

It will be a few weeks till I get a chance to get more aggressive with it. but I dont expect any issues. And If the do pop up I can alway crank the torsion bars up a bit a bit as they are still at the factory adjustment

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
I have those exact same tires on my 04 quad cab, 2wd. no rubbing for me either, and they fill the wheel well nicely!

I'm about as close as you are too on full turns, but I've never rubbed.

these tires were awesome in the snow. I was going and average of 60mph in the snow storm 2 weekends ago, the truck was very sure footed, didn't slip or slide at all, and at times, the road was so bad that the lines disappeared under the snow. I also had 400 lbs of scrap metal in the bed of the truck at the time though!

·
A GUY
473 Posts
well I think that settles it. I will being going with the 265/75/16's and if for what ever reason I have problems the guy at pepboys said I could always exchange them for the stock size. Did either of you notice a big drop in acceleration or mileage? I would think not since it is only an extra inch in height.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I havent had them long enough to check MPG yet. Power seems fine, however I have noticed a bit of shifting issues, hunting for gear. at mid speeds in OD. I just got a superchips 3815 that should fix that though.

My original tires where not the 265/70r16's though mine were the smaller 245/70r16's so I jumped up over 2".

I also have factory 3.92's ,I guess because of the factory tow package. instead of the 3.55's so I have that in my favor.

in the next two weeks I need to replace my battery and serpentine belt.

I will probably order a scan guage when I do that too. that will give me a better idea on mpg. Plus this computer allows me to monitor much more then the factory option, including trans temp which is something I was concerned about when moving up to a larger tire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also If you are going to go with the Firestone Destinations, The Firestone store in coddingtown should have a buy 3 get one free deal till the end of the month. Not sure if Pep Boys in Rohnert Park can match that. but I would check. Also Firestone offers a Buy & Try 30 Day Guarantee

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
look good, i like your tires. ha, look something like mine...

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
I noticed a slight loss of acceleration, but this wasn't a fast truck to begin with anyway...2wd quad cab, 3.55 gears, automatic trans, 4500 lbs empty...yea, fast it was not!

as far as mileage, the last time I tried to calculate it, I had dropped to around 12mpg overall, and was so pissed I didn't want to even think about it.

then it dawned on me, that my speedo is now off by about 7%, and I forgot to factor that into my mileage when calculating MPGs.

just last weekend I was on a road trip and clicked off 2 50 mile sections where I reset my trip odometer with a mile marker, and after 50 miles, compared what the odometer read, so I know that I'm off on my mileage by exactly 6.8%

now the next time I calculate my MPGs, I'll know to add 6.8% to the mileage before calculating!

stock tires I was getting about 17 overall, and could get 21 on the highway.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
i went from shitty bfg A/T's to these and what a difference. i got them during winter months and dont normally track my mpg much because of long warm ups/snow storm traveling.

·
A GUY
473 Posts
This is what I plan on running from Pepboys. 40k warranty $607 out the door. With lifttime rotations, road hazard coverage valve stems. They have a AT tire for $505. I just want the MT.

THE Definity Dakota MT

The Definity Dakota AT

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those Definity Dakota's are made by Cooper tires. I have heard good thing about them too. I think you will be pleased

·
A GUY
473 Posts
I am sure I'll be happy with the tire itself. It is the size that I am worried about. Just the front tire to bumper clearance. I know I could always trim. I just have not cut into this truck yet. Though I think I will end up going with them. I just like that look!

·
A GUY
473 Posts
Well I got the tires mounted up today! 265/75/16, yep they fit no rubbing! But it is close. I will have to see how it does offroad. I might trim or do a T/S lift. It drives 10 times better than it did with my old tires. I think it has to do with the fact that the old tires were so worn and abused. Also the fact that I went from a C load range to a E load range. I paid $760 out the door and will get $143 back with a mail in rebate. So paying $620 in end is a great price for a set of mud tires! They are loud on the road, but I knew that and it does not bother me. So thanks to you guys that gave me some input! Now on to some pics. It is dark so they are not the best. I'll get more in the day light.

Plenty of room out back.

The lighting makes my camber look wrong, trust me its ok. Oh and never mind the rash on the bottom of the bumper. (Stupid rocks!)

Sure is close to rubbing,but it does not.

With the wheel turned it is real close! I may trim......

Overall I think it is a decent tire!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts