Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
this is dayadge country
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I decided not to ignore the CEL today on my '98 Dakota like I normally do (P0420 has a tendency of showing up :jester:) I was about to take a 4 hour round trip.

Got this stupid P1282 code today that my code reader can't explain to me. I contacted a couple of my buddies who work at Chrysler and they told me it's a fuel pump relay or circuit error code. A couple weeks ago, I was pulling out from a place we ate dinner when the truck started sputtering. I pulled into the lot right next door and was expecting to be calling a tow truck. It continued running shitty, then I revved it a couple times and it started running normally again.

I got it back home as quickly as possible after that. That was the only time it did anything strange. I suspected it was the fuel pump. I checked the pressure, it was 49psi at part throttle, which is within the specs. At idle the needle fluctuates between 46-52 rapidly (not sure why). That hiccup was the only time the truck did this. If you pull the fuel pump relay and start the truck, it runs exactly like it did that night.

Anyways, I called the Chrysler dealer, they want $25 for the relay. F-that. I looked at all the other relays in the panel, they are pretty well all the same part number. So i swapped the fuel pump one with the horn relay. I drove it around a bit, seems to be fine, and the horn works fine too.:huh: We'll see what happens from here. Next time I'm at my fav u pull parts honey hole I'll grab a fistful of those pricks for a couple bucks.

Mainly I decided to post this up because the results I was getting searching google were shitty. I never search on this site because the search feature here SUCKS. This is what this code means, directly from 2 techs at Chrysler. I'll post up if this saga continues. Feel free to add anything, I would change the fuel filter on this truck if it was possible. I am still not sure what to make of the fluctuating fuel pressure at idle.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Wednesday morning my truck died right after I pulled out of my driveway and put it in drive. That was a bit odd I thought, been okay since......now I'm going to be watching my gauge cluster for a CEL! I plan on replacing the original fuel pump/filter with a new unit next spring hopefully it will last that long.

·
this is dayadge country
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did that extreme miss again today, same thing... Right after start up driving onto the street. Bumped it into neutral and revved it like last time and it cleared up and ran fine. :huh:

Code hasn't returned. I'll check fuel pressure again tomorrow. Does anyone else get a rapidly fluctuating fuel pressure that's within specs at idle only?

·
this is dayadge country
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to post up that I figured out what the problem was. The truck started throwing front o2 sensor codes P0135 (o2 heater) and P0138 (o2 bank 1 circuit high voltage). P0135 started appearing every time I cold started the truck, and P0138 very seldom. I made a harness with spliced wires to plug inline between the o2 wires going to the sensor. Hooked up my multimeter, saw over 14 volts going to the o2 heater circuit. As it was running and I was monitoring this it triggered the P0135 code, perfect! Connected the multimeter to the signal wires and saw 1.41-1.47v coming from the sensor. From what I gathered online the o2 should read between .1 and .9v max. So this backed up the P0138 code i was getting.

The P1282 I originally started this thread about I think was caused by pulling the relay. It was friggin weird though because the code didn't set until like 2 days after I checked the fuel pressure. I find that this truck seems to be pretty lazy about setting codes for some things when a fault is detected.

I installed this Standard Motor Products sensor late February last year and didn't even get a year out of it.:rant: I bought it on wholesaler clearance, though RA assures me those parts are not seconds.:huh: Less than 1 year of life? My truck wasn't dumping raw gas into the exhaust, and the sensor appeared to be pretty clean.

Since I was going to be a few days fixing up my exhaust issues and installing my new headers, I hit up Rock Auto and ordered up the OEM NTK sensor from their reg inventory. I also tested the TPS and MAP, both of which were good.

Got the exhaust for the most part fixed up and the new sensor installed. I have driven it a couple times now and the truck is idling more steadily than it ever has in the time I have owned it, and hasn't cut out on me again since!:woot:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts