1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'll give you a brief history before I a dress my problem,

I have a 2003 durango SLT 4.7
101,000 miles 20,000 on a 3 yo Jasper engine. Since the new engine was installed 3 years ago I have been getting a p0441 evap code 3 times a year, the garage could never figure it out, I reset it when it happens and had no performance issues in 3 years.

Over the weekend I was on the highway and something felt funny I stepped on the gas and it would not accelerate any faster then I was going. Then I lost the odd cylinders and it sounded like a lawnmower. I pulled over and did not throw a code. I shut the engine off and waited 5 minutes. Turned on the engine and it sounded find, I continued on my way and it did it again a half mile down the road, I did this a few times to get off the highway and then I threw a p0171 bank 1 fuel lean. I got a tow home at that point.

After we got home (2 hours later) it started fine and I took it around the block and had no issues. I did a research and after a visual vac leak check and a fuel rail pressure test all checked out fine. I got a new upper o2 sensor and installed it ran it 40 miles so far and all is well. I have a funny feeling that it's going to happen again and I'm having a hard time believing this will solve my issues.

If anybody could give me a few pointers on what to check next so we don't get stranded further away then we were would be great,
Thank you,
Denny

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

An EVAP leak like p0441 wouldn't cause the drivability problem you experienced. A bad O2 sensor could cause your p0171 code & the drivability problem. The computer doesn't take the O2 sensors readings into account when the motor is cold or at wide open throttle. So it makes sense that the truck would start up when you got it home due to the motor being cold. When you drove it around the block it probably didn't get up to operating temperature, so the computer still wasn't listening to the (bad) o2 sensor. While I know it doesn't give you much peace of mind, I would drive it around a while and see if the code comes back. The links I provided above also have suggestions on other things you could check. Good luck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

An EVAP leak like p0441 wouldn't cause the drivability problem you experienced. A bad O2 sensor could cause your p0171 code & the drivability problem. The computer doesn't take the O2 sensors readings into account when the motor is cold or at wide open throttle. So it makes sense that the truck would start up when you got it home due to the motor being cold. When you drove it around the block it probably didn't get up to operating temperature, so the computer still wasn't listening to the (bad) o2 sensor. While I know it doesn't give you much peace of mind, I would drive it around a while and see if the code comes back. The links I provided above also have suggestions on other things you could check. Good luck...
thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated . drove it a little bit since the weekend no issues yet we don't drive much mainly a weekend of vehicle. we will take it for a longer ride this weekend and see what happens . all of the reading that I have done that pertains to that code I have not really found anybody they have performance issues when that happened it was just a code , and what you said in your post makes really good sense, thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a break quick it started reading the links that you gave me . the link pointed to the mass airflow sensor also in conjunction with the o2 sensor. the problem that I'm finding is my engine does not have a mass air flow sensor. kinda stuck right there at this time thank you .

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Yes, our trucks use MAP sensors instead of MAF sensors. Two different types of sensors that tell the computer the same information (how much air is entering the motor).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts