Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, its been a while since I posted, back when I was working on the Hemi install in my Dakota. This time I'm having issues with the 5.9 in our newly
  • purchased '00 Durango. To try and keep this as short as possible, I'm going to list all of the things I've checked and done, in no particular order. And to keep the replies simpler, let me mention that I'm a mechanic at a small shop, with schooling and a fair amount of experience. I know the basics to check, and have checked all of the grounds, replaced the TPS, etc. Here is the full list:
  • Engine is a replacement used engine, I bought the Durango with a bad engine. The engine itself runs great, except for the occasional issues directly related to the TPS.
  • The issue started as soon as the engine was first started.
  • Replaced TPS with brand new one.
  • Checked all grounds in the engine compartment with the help of the FSM to make sure I didn't miss any. I removed them and cleaned them with sandpaper, and used a meter to test them all.
  • Checked all ground splices in the engine harness to make sure there were no wires pulled out.
  • Took readings at the TPS, and the ground is good from the sensor to the PCM, the feed wire has aprox. 5.2 volts, but the signal wire also has 5.2 volts, even when unplugged from the TPS.
  • Removed the TPS feed wire from the PCM plug, and checked the PCM, and its putting OUT 5.2 volts, where it should be RECEIVING low voltage from the TPS. This is with the wire removed from the PCM, so its not a short in the TPS wire.
  • Replaced the PCM after lots of testing, and it fixed the problem...for about 15 minutes.
  • Unplugged all sensors, including TPS, MAP, both O2, CPS, distributor, coil, IAT, the transmission wires, and even the 4x4 switch plug at the T-case (shares a ground with a couple other sensors), and plugs 2 and 3 from the PCM, but the TPS wire is still showing 5.2 volts output.
  • Tested all wires at the PCM #1 plug, and removed all which showed 5.2 volts, so there is NO wire feeding back into the PCM with 5.2 volts...yet the PCM is still putting out 5.2 volts. That eliminates any backfeeding from a sensor with a bad ground.
  • Double and triple checked the PCM grounds, and they are good.
  • Traced all grounds in the engine compartment through the harness and can't find any bad spots.

Before installing the engine I stripped the throttle body to paint it, and I cleaned the IAC at that time. Everything was in great condition, so there wasn't much to do. The throttle body is very clean, and there was a period (several days) after putting the motor in that the code went away, for about 200 miles of driving. It ran great, idled great, and drove like a new vehicle. Then suddenly the TPS code came back, along with erratic transmission shifting (in and out of OD) and an occasional rough idle.

Any and all help and suggestions will be appreciated. If we dont' get this fixed soon, this thing is going on ebay as a part's rig. I can't afford to invest a lot of time or money in an 8 year old vehicle. This was supposed to be a vehicle for my wife to run for a year or two until it rusted out too bad, but at the rate we are going, it may not be worth fixing.

Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I just went out and removed ALL of the wires from the PCM #1 plug, except the following:
  • Fused Bat. Positive
  • Ignition Positive (Run/Start)
  • Both Black/tan grounds

There is NO WAY anything can be backfeeding into the PCM. All I'm doing is powering up the PCM with nothing else hooked up, and its still putting out 5 volts to the TPS signal wire.

Question for anyone on here with DRB PCM programming experience: Is there any chance that the dealer who installed my new PCM got lazy, and instead of getting the programming from Chrysler directly, just copied it from my old PCM before removal and uploaded it to the new PCM once installed? If it was a software issue with the old PCM, this would transfer the problem to the new PCM.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
what was the result

I am working on a 2001 4.7l durango with the same problem. I sent Jim a pm but it does not apear he has been on here for a while. If anyone has heard of this problem also I would love to hear their findings. I was just about to sell this guy a pcm but Jim said that only fixed his for 15 min.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just saw your post and jumped on our Alldata system and MOPARS web site to see if there were any TSBs related to your problem and didn't find anything.

But in looking at the wiring diagram I did find that There are two PCM grounds, pin 31 and pin 32 in PCM connector C1 which you have already found. They share a common connector to the left of the PCM if you are looking over the fender. one place you might look for a intermittent connection problem, the other thing I saw was there is a splice in the ground that is connected to pin 32 some ware close to the PCM, Alldata and MOPAR just say it is close to PCM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is no way this can lead back to a ground problem. You would have more different types of issues if this was a PCM ground issue, or an engine harness ground problem. 5 volts coming out of your TPS signal pin at the PCM is a PCM internal issue. Or it sure seems that way. You aren't dealing with a ground issue i'm pretty sure. I suggest trying another PCM. Maybe the PCM you got had the same issue? Was it used? I've seen stranger things happen. I don't see how it could be a software/programming issue either, because those circuits inside the pcm set one way... like one pin made to put out voltage, one to recieve signal and read voltage, one to provide ground.

Good luck though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
P/M me yer VIN and i'll look and see what i can find for ya... but it does sound like a ground issue... also give me yer PCM number..

·
Registered
4 Posts
You Wont Bilieve This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well 3 days later I finally got it. I replaced the pcm no change, I replaced the clock spring(possible culprit from other forums)no change. Then out of sheer frustration with a dvm hooked up to the signal wire at the tps (sitting at 5.8v) I began pulling relays and fuses until I pulled the stop lamp fuse in the underhood fuseblock and the voltage dropped to 4.6 (normal). I started the vehicle and it ran like a champ. After many more hours on the pc trying to fugure out the corilation between the stop lamps and the tps (there is none). I started to look at all of the wiring to the stop lamp switch. When i opened c200 the large connector where the wire harness comes through the firewall by the drivers floorboard antifreeze ran out of the conector. While the vehicle was in the shop it had been leaving puddles. It was leaking out of the aux coolant pump under the hood by the firewall on the pass. side. I was going to adress that after I fixed the p0123. That leaking pump had pushed antifreeze through the wires all the way to c200 inside the vehicle. I blew out c200 with air, reconected,checked the dvm 4.6, started the vehicle all beter. WHAT A PAIN IN MY A!!. So my advice to all is if you see a leak at that pump adress it right away before it creates more problems. Thanks for the help.:banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
p.s.

If the dealer wont take this pcm back(which I am sure they wont) I will have a new pcm for a 2001 durango for sale. If any one is interested pm me and I will send you the pcm/part number. It is a reman from chsysler and I can guarantee it works.

·
Hi. ImAnAsshole. Bye.
19,424 Posts
Does it look like it was plugged in? I told the dealer I didn't use my electrical item and I figured it was another issue. They took it back

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great to hear you found it. Thats one to write on the wall.

Call me ignorant, but I have never seen a aux water pump on a Dakota or a Durango. Could you post a picture so I can see what you are talking about?

·
Registered
474 Posts
yep....we actually had a TSB told to us about that connector now that i think about it... never saw the TSB was jus told about it.... glad ya found the problem!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Weird, I have searched Alldata's library and MOPAR's factory web site and found no TSB's related to this problem. There was a TSB on PT Cruisers pushing oil up the harness and flooding the PCM, but nothing on Dakotas or Durango's.

Does anyone have a TSB# on this problem?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not the best pic but you can see the pump there in the corner.
Thanks for the picture. Did some research and found this pump in the 2001 manual. Its only in applications with rear heat. Still didn't find any TSBs on your find, but wont forget it. Great job tracking it down.:clap2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude... pm me your shop address and phone number, and the number to the best pizza joint in your town.. we owe you lunch.

We have an 03 in here right now with the same symptoms, couldn't figure it out.. Google searched & found this thread.. it was nearly word for word what we had checked, experienced and found.

read this thread, pulled C200 apart... and took a bath in coolant.

RIGHT ON!

You need to submit this to Identifix and Mitchell for their shop diagnostic software.. this is a spot-on fix

·
Registered
1 Posts
You Wont Bilieve This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well 3 days later I finally got it. I replaced the pcm no change, I replaced the clock spring(possible culprit from other forums)no change. Then out of sheer frustration with a dvm hooked up to the signal wire at the tps (sitting at 5.8v) I began pulling relays and fuses until I pulled the stop lamp fuse in the underhood fuseblock and the voltage dropped to 4.6 (normal). I started the vehicle and it ran like a champ. After many more hours on the pc trying to fugure out the corilation between the stop lamps and the tps (there is none). I started to look at all of the wiring to the stop lamp switch. When i opened c200 the large connector where the wire harness comes through the firewall by the drivers floorboard antifreeze ran out of the conector. While the vehicle was in the shop it had been leaving puddles. It was leaking out of the aux coolant pump under the hood by the firewall on the pass. side. I was going to adress that after I fixed the p0123. That leaking pump had pushed antifreeze through the wires all the way to c200 inside the vehicle. I blew out c200 with air, reconected,checked the dvm 4.6, started the vehicle all beter. WHAT A PAIN IN MY A!!. So my advice to all is if you see a leak at that pump adress it right away before it creates more problems. Thanks for the help.:banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:
thank you so much..had the same problem..if you hadnt have posted this i would have never found the problem, ive been a master tech for 30 years..never seen this, but it fixed my friends 2003 r/t durango !!! thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts