Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all again...I did get the TPS replaced and it did take the surging problem away while in cruise and also not in cruise. Now I have another problem that is similar but not totally. I have noticed a very rough idle at times, sort of like it isn't hitting on all cylinders, then during driving, no matter what speed, it feels as though the motor has been turned off suddenly and then back on in a manner of seconds. Would that be one of the oxygen sensors? If so how would you know which one it could be? I am not sure how many exactly that the 360 has, but I think maybe 3. Also no codes show up detecting anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oxygen Sensor

Hi to all, I have begin to think that my problem may not be related to the oxygen sensors. I am thinking that the problem is with the torque convertor, possibly a sensor that would tell the torque when to lock or unlock or whatever it is that the torque convertor does. The reason that I am thinking this, is because the engine speed doesn't change. Although it does idle rough at times when you first start it. And as usual there are no codes that show to indicate any problems. Has anyone had a problem such as this. It feels like the transmission is trying to shift and then not shift at the same time, if that makes any sense.

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
Ever think you may have gummed up injectors, fouled out plug(s), bad wires, bad negative ground (yes, this will effect how it runs). Could be a number of easy quick fix's that do not throw out codes. A bad O2 sensor (which you have 2), would throw out a code. Check these first and if they haven't been replaced / done in a while, nows a good time for a 4 year old truck...

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
Well, I would say no, unless you know how long it has been (if ever) since they were replaced. I would say do not worry about them until you have to - unless you have a pile of $$ laying around and want to spend it on new O2 sensors.

Another thing you could do is take them out (if it can be done so w/o ruining them or the wiring) and give them a look. If they are in bad shape (corrosion & crap all over them) you have another problem elsewhere. There should be some black / dirty carbon on them, but nothing substantial

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O2 sensor

Hi, again..I still have the problem with the car feeling as though it is trying to shift in and out of overdrive instantly, causing a jerking. The same feeling could be compared to an older car cutting out real bad and jerking. I had the plugs changed at 30,000 miles, had the transmission fluid changed and filter also around 65,000 miles, had the transmission flushed at 30,000. The dealer in this area said that he thought it could be a selinoid in the transmission that controls the shifting in the transmission. I was told to drive it until it quit and then the problem could be found and fixed, as nothing at all shows up when running the codes. I've not had the throttle body clean by a professional, but have done some sort of cleaning to the throttle body, but not as thorough as a professional would do. Any ideas as to which way to turn on this. :help:

·
Registered
159 Posts
O2 sensors should be replace every 60K. I just did mine on my 00 4.7 Durango. I have 2 of them. I was told that the one in the front is more "important". Let me tell you it is a BEEEAATCH to replace. The connector is up real high against the frame and it is tight all around. They are pretty expensive too but, its something that needs to be done. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bonicjar, thanks for the fast reply..Gosh I sure hate this hide and seek game that it feels like I'm playing with this car..but I love my rango..I plan on starting with the plugs, changing them and using the best ones I can afford that would be all right to use with the 360(5.9L)and will not affect the electronic part of the thing, if that would make a difference anyway, but plan on checking that out with a tech that knows his stuff first. Then if nothing changes, I will go to the wires next and so on. By the way do you know if a 2001 5.9L does in fact have a rotor bug, like the cars of old had before the electronic stuff came to being. Thanks again.. I will keep the forum up to date on what and how I hopefully get it fixed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
en_shua said:
Not to hijack this thread, but O2 sensors, should I replace them even if I don't get a error? I'm at roughly 157K miles now.

Mahalo.

en_shua,

If you can do it yourself then I'd do it just as a precaution. I had one done earlier this year and boy did it cost me some bucks! Three hundred easy bucks outta my pocket. It all depends on how your pocket book is.

rimfire,22

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
PhL0aTeR said:
i dunno exactly.... i didnt change em, i had the garage do it.

but there are 2 upstream, 2 downstream, one on each (driver, passenger) side.
You got ripped off - there are only (2) max on any Durango / Dakota - guaranteed.

As far as this replace @ 60K - BS...replace them when they go bad. The last vehicle I had (Chevy Z71) had 110k on it before I replaced even one. I've got 64k on my 2k Durango and both O2's are fine. Besides, you will have a trouble code come up if it's the sensor

·
Registered
10 Posts
lilguido1 said:
You got ripped off - there are only (2) max on any Durango / Dakota - guaranteed.

As far as this replace @ 60K - BS...replace them when they go bad. The last vehicle I had (Chevy Z71) had 110k on it before I replaced even one. I've got 64k on my 2k Durango and both O2's are fine. Besides, you will have a trouble code come up if it's the sensor

Are you serious? There are 4 on my 2000 4.7L Durango. I know for sure, because I had to replace ALL 4 of them, and we did it OURSELVES!

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
On 98-00 Daks and Durangos only have 1 cat = (2) o2 sensors
On 01-04 Daks and Durangos there's 3 cats = (4) o2 sensors

In some cases 2000 model Daks and D's had (4) o2 sensors for different state emissions

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
PhL0aTeR said:
LOL.... thank you.... so much for the "guranteed"
Oh, sorry I was not explictly clear...unless you bought the truck in California, or bought a Calilfornia emission compliant truck, you will only have (2)...guaranteed

95% of us do not live in CA hence almost all US built for trucks have only 2 (LOL, LOL, LOL)

·
Trailer Trash
474 Posts
lilguido1 said:
Oh, sorry I was not explictly clear...unless you bought the truck in California, or bought a Calilfornia emission compliant truck, you will only have (2)...guaranteed

95% of us do not live in CA hence almost all US built for trucks have only 2 (LOL, LOL, LOL)
so why would my truck be CA compliant if i bought it in texas?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.