Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, spring is around the corner and this will be our third year camping...we tow a 4550 lb 27 foot travel trailer 4 kids 2 adults 6 bikes and a BBQ and lots of other stuff, probably about 5000 lbs+ in the trailer end..and i'm looking to fix/cure an issue we have every summer..Our 2000 durango 4.7 with factory tow package will heat up like crazy!!! straight roads are not to bad, but when it's really warm out (mid 80's +) and she's under load (grade/hill) it will near pin the heat gauge? I had the rad out changed the coolant and replaced the fan clutch with a CAR QUEST unit..still no change??? maybe the fan clutch can't pull enough air at 3500-4000 rpm???the dodge manuel say that the clutch fan does run at a lower speed at higher engine speeds???maybe i need to add an additional electric fan out front??? otherwise the durango runs fine!! always just under the half mark on the coolant gauge..it has about 100000 miles and i run with or without the superchips programer...she has the factory 3.92 gears and 31 inch tires and its an AWD...thanks
Trevor

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The fix is easy, you seriously need a new tow vehicle. Your Durango with 3.92's, 31 inch tires AWD with only a 4.7 hauling all of that equipment and people is simply just not enough vehicle to do the job.

If the trailer comes in at 4550, and I'll bet that is dry weight, I would say that by the time you get done loading it you are probably closer to 6,000 lbs adn the front cross section on that thing is huge. Now load up your truck with all the rest of the people in it and IMO you just don't have enough vehicle. The radiator is also seriously too small to be able to handle all of that heat. Get your hands on a larger radiator and that should help alleviate your cooling concerns.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
that and a larger e-fan would help a lot. at first everyone was doing the viper fan mod, but there are other available fans that will work. but with that viper fan going you should have less problems cause that sucker pulls air and is loud.

but yeah there's only so much you can do before you realize that you just need a bigger engine for this job. the 5.9 would have done you better or hemi. at least you have the 3.92 gears or it would be near impossible to tow that trailer up hills.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
done deal!!

but yeah there's only so much you can do before you realize that you just need a bigger engine for this job. the 5.9 would have done you better or hemi. at least you have the 3.92 gears or it would be near impossible to tow that trailer up hills.[/QUOTE]

Well I did it,,,put the durango up for sale and it sold that night....I'm now hunting for a quad cab ram with a hemi or 5.9...that aught to fix the problem...sad to see the rango go :-(....
Thanks
Trevor

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
That was quick...now go find a nice Cummins and you won't have any problems towing that camper!

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
No matter how you address the cooling system, add an tranny cooler.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
No matter how you address the cooling system, add an tranny cooler.
And gear it so you can stay out of OD while towing. My gas 5.9 2500 Ram has 3.55gears...I can can tow all daylong at 65-70 with the OD off right in the RPM sweet spot.

I have 4.10s to install, glad I didn't do it. I'm planning on 402 stroker for it...It's a 1998 with 83,000 miles on it. And it's RED....WOOT.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I second the diesel. I have a 99 Ram 2500 Cummins and you would not even know that trailer was behind you. .... slippery slope, then you will want a 5th wheel travel trailer.
Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts