Dakota Durango Forum banner

Overheating Problem with the dreaded 4.7L

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Lil_Bee_R/T 
#1 ·
Ok here is my stumper of the day. I have a 2000 Dodge Durango Sport V8 4.7L.

About a month ago it started overheating while I was driving it from Houston to San Antonio for work. I work for the railroad and have to drive lots of miles every week and this is my only mode of transport. Back to the story.

My fan clutch was sounding like a small turbo prop taking off so I figured that was the problem. I promptly went to Oreillys and purchased a new fan clutch and put it on. The problem was solved for about 1 day because I didn't drive it on the highway. I then headed home and it began to overheat again. Now I have to qualify that by saying it didn't overheat it ran hot. Temp gauge would go up to about 3/4 and stop. I thought it was the thermostat. I had it changed also and still the same problem. I drove it through Missouri on vacation this past week and with the cold temps up there no problems really but when I got back to Texas today it heated up and even overheated especially when I ran the AC. It kind of does the opposite when I come to stop lights the temp goes back down but when on the highway it goes back up. I checked for codes and I got a P0108 code. Not sure what that means.

Please help. Did I put the fan blades on backwards? Could that be a problem?
I don't want to spend all my money doing what everyone else has done with head gaskets and water pumps for the problem not to be fixed. Help if you can.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like maybe Radiator?🤔 Or water pump.

Im in the same boat right now, actually. But mine started with the jack ass before me putting Stop Leak in the coolant.😒 I changed thermostat and while idling its fine. Any load and it boils over... Maybe my water pump if it happens again.

#3 · (Edited)
Looks like P0108 is MAP sensor which would not affect your cooling system.

Quite often these older vehicles suffer from years & years of neglect of the cooling system & finally issues build up & overheating is the result. (Personally, every five years I flush, change s-belt, 'stat, rad cap, & take a hard look at hoses & if I don't trust 'em I chnage 'em.) I am not saying that I know for sure that your '00 Dak has suffered cooling system neglaect for two decades, but then again, I don't know what your maintenance schedule is.

Changing the rad cap would be something you could do that is cheap & easy.
You could also do a good thorough flush.
As far as the waterpump goes, I've had to change several on my vehicles in the course of my life, & it has usually been leakage that tipped me off that they were going bad (a couple of them just up & puked all of a sudden & those were radical overheats). But a waterpump is not a difficult or expensive part to change, so unless you want to have your coolant analized for combustion gases & then pressure test your system (both of which may be worth doing) , that might be your best next step (after you change the rad cap & flush).

#4 ·
. . . and just a couple of quick things I forgot to mention:
I think that the s-belt tensioner is a commonly neglected part. I suppose it is possible on an older vehicle that if the s-belt tensioner has nver been replaced, the belt could be slipping on the water pump.

And as far as the pump clutch goes, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the clutch & pump have about the same lifespan & therefore if you change the pump you should also change the clutch, & I suppose that the reverse may also be true.

#5 ·
Thanks, if replacement of the Radiator doesnt fix my issue, i will be doing water pump next😒

#6 ·
I have issues with overheating while towing on my 03, and after years of not knowing why, this past summer when it was very hit on some days, my engine temp kept creeping up as I was driving on I-435. By the time I get off the highway, it’s acting up like it is down on power and was misfiring until I was off the highway. I could hear the electric fan running so that’s still good. The problem with the factory water pump is that the impeller is made from a plastic that erodes away over time and I believe mine has gotten to that point that I need to replace it.
I would start there and when you get a new pump, make sure it is the metal impeller.

#8 ·
I replaced that already and it was not the issue. Factory was not stuck open either. You can install them backwards, but my issue is with my water pump needs replaced.

#9 ·
Yeah, you can install them backwards and the engine will overheat and act like its not circulating water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.