Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my truck, so couple days ago my truck was overheating blew a radiator hose off so I replaced that and the thermostat and truck was still overheating, noticed no flow in overflow tank so I replaced the waterpump, my truck is still overheating and I still get cold air blowing out when I have heat on, I let it cool down and checked overflow tank and it was really low after I just filled it, there are no leaks, so I filled up again and started it up sits at idle for 15mins and steady heat increase till it bottoms out in red, shut it off and checked the overflow and noticed bubbles coming up the coolant temp isn't hot in the overflow, please help

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed oil earlier today and it looked fine not gray, I didn't smell it when I did it, I'm now at work and will have to go smell it when I get home in 4 and a half hours, when I drained coolant that also looked fine

·
Aspirated Plz
20 Posts
could always be a possibility that your coolant temp sensor has gone out on you. when mine went out it read either 1/4 of gauge or peg out on hot side both driving and even at start up. something to check up on

·
Registered
247 Posts
You have air trapped in your coolant system. With the front of the truck pointed slightly uphill, remove the radiator cap and start engine letting it idle. Add coolant as the air bubbles out until you have no more bubbles. Fill reservoir to proper level. This may take 20-30 minutes to do it properly so don't get in a hurry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was air also, I've tried "burping" it a couple times, also when I take cap of and let it get up to temp I don't see fluid passing through the upper hose from thermostat to rad, I wasn't sure if it has to be pressurized to see fluid flow through if or what

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I started engine with rad cap off and started pouring antifreeze down the upper hose started to see fluid flow after about 2-5 mins but then turned on my heat full blast and don't see fluid flow through the upper hose anymore, both heater core hoses are getting hot, jumped in my truck and I finally have hot air comin out of it instead of cold

·
Registered
247 Posts
Keep adding coolant until it won't take anymore and there's no more air bubble coming out and you should be good to go. It's going to take a while for the air in the back heater core to work itself up front and out of the system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I kept adding til no bubbles revving motor couple times also, runs good not overheating but is idling around 600 instead of 1000, did oil change when I did water pump, put 5.25 quarts of oil in it, could it be the plenum gasket or however you spell it, and thank you very much for the help guys I really appreciate it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 dodge durango slt 5.9 liter. I have replaced the fan, thermostat, heater core, heads "both were cracked" and I'm still having overheating issues. I'm at a loss as to what it could be at this point.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
197 Posts
Water pump?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts