Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully someone can chime in on this. I was driving the other day on the highway and turned OFF the overdrive. THe tranny shifted down as it should have and the truck started accelerating (foot on the gas). I then re-engaged the overdrive and the engine for some reason revved up before settling down. The RPMs jumped up about 3-400, almost as if the tranny slipped before re-engaging. There was no kick or anything like that. It shifts fine otherwise during normal driving and all shifts appear normal (including into OD).
Does this sound normal or is my OD on the way out? It would be great if someone could dis-engage/re-engage their OD on the freeway and let me know what they experience.

03 Durango 4.7, 70K miles.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found out that the tranny I have is the 5-45RFE. I understand it has 2 overdrives. Can this have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Just found out that the tranny I have is the 5-45RFE. I understand it has 2 overdrives. Can this have anything to do with it?
It has one overdrive. Some people confuse the torque converter locking and
unlocking as being another gear.
You have a 3 speed with OD, the TC locks and unlocks in 3rd, and in overdrive...Hence the confusion.

Any codes?

My 46RE in the Ram does the same thing...And the 45RFE in my Dak 4x4 is the true definition of a slush box. I hate that fucking tranny.

That's why my R/T has a 727.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
When I had my mopar PCM it would not rev up when turning it back on. Now with SCT it does. I have wondered why it does this too. I removed the SCT pcm and it went back to normal, put it back in it does it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah, no codes. the funny part is that the tranny is running absolutely fine not using the OD button - the shifts are perfect. I really dont care if it does this since I dont use the OD button at all, as long as this is not an indication of an issue.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
What it did was unlock the converter (it locks in 3rd with the OD OFF), shift to 4th, lock the TC, then shift to 5th. This is the normal shift schedule.

Nothing is wrong.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
What it did was unlock the converter (it locks in 3rd with the OD OFF), shift to 4th, lock the TC, then shift to 5th. This is the normal shift schedule.

Nothing is wrong.
my words exactly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my words exactly.
Thanks 99. I thought my OD was on the way out.

By the way, I noticed that you have a Mangaflow muffler installed. Mind sharing what kind you got and how you had it put in? (welded, clamped in place, stock tailpipe or not). I'm looking for a Magnaflow as well but cant afford getting the entire catback.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
np.
sure its just the basic magnaflow muffler part #11236. 14in body 20in overall 2.5in offset/offset. i just used clamps but would like to weld it up since there is a small leak. i like it. seemed very quiet at first. once it broke it though its pretty loud. only was $60 i think

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
np.
sure its just the basic magnaflow muffler part #11236. 14in body 20in overall 2.5in offset/offset. i just used clamps but would like to weld it up since there is a small leak. i like it. seemed very quiet at first. once it broke it though its pretty loud. only was $60 i think
that's an awesome deal. I'm going for an 18 inch or 20 if I can, just to make sure it's not too loud. Did you cut off the stock muffler yourself?

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
i had had an old flowmaster 40 series on for close to 8 years before it broke. so all i had to do was heat and cut the old muffler off and reclamped and rehung the maggie.

i should have went for the longer one myself because i wanted to get out of the loud truck scene lol. its not overly loud its only loud when i step on it. when i first got it i thought it was gonna be way to quiet. all about personal preferant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts