Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: Got a 97 slt 4x4, grey plastic valence with the holes for the stock fogs but no lights. If i got the stock fog unit, could i put in a parking light bulb or use bulb paint to paint the fog bulbs orange? Why am i wanting to do this. I want to put on a brush guard and a set of 5 inch driving lights on the guard. Dont really want headlights, fog lights and driving lights all white. Plus i think orange fogs would look snazzy.
So itd be headlights and driving lights white, parking lights and "fog" lights orange. Anybody done this before?

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
better check if it legal to have orange fog lights. you know how picky state laws can be these days lol

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iowa code says fog lights cant be any colors other then white and amber. So i guess im ok with the amber. (orange/amber) I just wanted the clear lensed fog lights with a amber bulb, during the day thatd look pretty good i think. a lil somethin different.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I know the idea of having orange / amber fog lights sound cool... but honestly, using a colored bulb to do something like that won't get you too far. Just thinking about how far the light really won't project because its not that brillant of a color... you might wanna keep that in mind!

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Kc_Rage_49 said:
I know the idea of having orange / amber fog lights sound cool... but honestly, using a colored bulb to do something like that won't get you too far. Just thinking about how far the light really won't project because its not that brillant of a color... you might wanna keep that in mind!
KC what did you use to cut the fog light holes in your bumper? I have the same bumper cover and i want to add aftermarket fog lights in the stock location. I do not want to mess up the bumper cover.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
you mean this?

Rotozip baby...

I also purchased the fog light mounting brackets from the stealer ship so that I would have something nice and solid to mount the lights to. Our plastic valience doesn't come with the mounting spots like everyone elses does...

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Gotta love the various parts scattered across the yard!

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Well what I was going to do was cut the holes out and then just screw the fog light braket to the rebar, It should work just fine as long as I make sure that everything lines up. I have a dremal tool so that should work to cut the holes. Is it hard to take the bumper cover off? I was looking the other day and it seems like it just unscrews in alot of diffrent places. I am going to wait till the weather warms up and then take on the project. Any help or comments are welcome, I am very good at fabing stuff with the dremal, but like I said I do not want to mess up the bumper cover, they are not cheap.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I don't know what package you have... but my SXT, it took 2 bolts just inside the front edge of the bumper.. and then the thing just comes right off. I also thought there was more... but that was it

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I have a 2004 SXT and I know there are 2 bolts on the inside edge of the bumper cover, but I seen some plastic scews on the underside of the cover. Well I will try to take the cover off soon. What kind of fog lights are you running?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
hehehe.. hijacked thread...

Hyper Whites.. picked em up for $50. Rumor has it alot of Walmarts actually carry these now. I was kinda taken back when I heard that.. but they work great. I haven't had a lick of problems with them after the install...

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.... yea thanks for all the info guys.....
:moon:

:joke:

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Yeah I have seen them at WalMart I think i might get a set then. Why did you use the stock mounting brakets and not the ones that came with the fog lights? Do you think I mount them to the Rebar?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
T.j. said:

Sorry but I don't think anyone has done Orange fog lights on a Dak.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
T.j. said:

Honestly T.J... check out the idea of an orange light.. I think you'll be disapointed if you are looking for actually being able to see it. If you're up for just looks.. then hell yeah, go for it!!!

I didn't mount it to the rebar... the mounting kit that comes with the fogs just had a standard U kinda looking bracket, I drilled holes into the stock bracket, and then lock washered everything... that way, its mounted to the frame more or less...

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
well thanks for the info, I will come up with some way to mount them.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea its just gonna be for looks. Might look cool might not...cant hurt to be the first to try it on a dak though right? c yas

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
You can try, but I don't think your going to like it. Amber fog lights remind me of the 80's when everyone would get thoes cheap orange fog light and bolt them to the bumper. It's your truck so do what you want.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Kc rage, who makes ur billet grille? I really like it and have seen it on a few differfent trucks. can you maintian the stock hood release? and do you know if there is a matcin lower availible?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Hey, hehe.. you're going to laugh, but its actually just chrome door edging.

Can't beat the look for the price. Its been a filler until I get out of college and get some cash...

Go to the autostore, buy some chrome door edging, cut it to the appropriate length of the black grille that is on there already, and then press it on there really well.

Hope that helps... but, I'm all about enhancing the look of my truck for cheap!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts