Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a super sweet deal on a 5.9L that I couldnt pass up, so me and Pops are going to be rebuilding it and swap it in my truck!!

Here are just a few shots of the breakdown, we've since completly stripped it, but I havent got new pics yet.

Some of the stuff will be for sale as I replace it with better parts. I THOUGHT the motor had 56K on it, but when we got it, it had a tag on it that said 2000 Durango 5.9L 16Kmiles... sooo, I'm going to check back with my bud and get the details worked out.

Plans so far are to take it to the machine shop wednesday and see what they can do to the block.

Have to show off the new toolbox Pops got me for Christmas :)

I'm also open for some options... I don't want to go to a 408stroker, but I did want to do some boring of the block... any ideas? I'm learning...

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
all I can say is you suck rook :joke: ..sweet man don't know much about eniges either just wish I had a v-8 myself...

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, thanx Scott....well you know, I'll have a 318 for sale after i do the swap??? lol j/k, I actually think Pop's is going to rebuild my motor and replace his 3.9

Talked to my mechanic today, and he said the only problems with the motor (and @ only 54K) were leaking head gaskets [anti-freeze in oil], piston rings were letting oil threw, and check the crank bearings...

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
RooKnute said:
lol, thanx Scott....well you know, I'll have a 318 for sale after i do the swap??? lol j/k, I actually think Pop's is going to rebuild my motor and replace his 3.9

Talked to my mechanic today, and he said the only problems with the motor (and @ only 54K) were leaking head gaskets [anti-freeze in oil], piston rings were letting oil threw, and check the crank bearings...

damn it...!!! I want it ...lol na My buddy just swapped out his 318 for a 360 so I'm gonna try to get that from him ..plus he lives in az no shipping..lol hope everything works out for ya man....

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
When rebuilding an engine you start by having it miced and checked for cracks.its obvious this engine has problems other wise it would still be in the durango it came out of.if all it needs is a bore and deck job,rebuild it.anything more scrap it.by the time you pay the machine shop your 1/2 way to a new short block.Don't rule out a stroker,its some of the cheapest power out there for these engines expecially if your rebuilding with a bore job.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice find!! I see a race motor in the future!

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
360 xrt said:
When rebuilding an engine you start by having it miced and checked for cracks.its obvious this engine has problems other wise it would still be in the durango it came out of.if all it needs is a bore and deck job,rebuild it.anything more scrap it.by the time you pay the machine shop your 1/2 way to a new short block.Don't rule out a stroker,its some of the cheapest power out there for these engines expecially if your rebuilding with a bore job.
What new short blocks are you looking at?

Cheapest I was finding was from KRC and they were in the 2K range...?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
mopar performance (factory) short blocks last i seen were around $1300.bore job with pistons alone is about $400 start doing the math and with a poor donor block your getting into alot of money.

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
360 xrt said:
mopar performance (factory) short blocks last i seen were around $1300.bore job with pistons alone is about $400 start doing the math and with a poor donor block your getting into alot of money.

Yup, and thats what the machine shops job is :) It'll be alright. I got this motor for pennies! lol :biggthump I'll keep you guys updated with the progress. I just sold a couple parts, so its going in the shop soon!! :)

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I'll prolly go with Ross or another brand that the machine shop guy uses (cant think of name today) lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts