Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of lowering my r/t a couple of inches, dont really want to go to far. I was looking at DJM for a 2/3 drop with there controll arms, this should keep the suspension geometry in place correct? instead of springs wich i have heard are very hard on ball joints. I also notice that majority of the people with drop kits on a r/t used hotchkis but when i went to the website the kit they showed only did 1" on a r/t in front and all of the trucks i see look lower than that. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would go with the hotchkis TVS, its a bit pricy but damn is it worth it. Those sway bars are awesome. Sam at www.socaldakota.com is a very good guy to talk to.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Remember that the RT is already 1" lower from the factory. the Hotchkis 2" lower springs are designed from the standard height springs so an RT will only be dropped another 1". The total package is well worth the money.

275/50/17 Nittos on 9.5x17 wheels

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys, ill look into that i just didnt want to worry about getting my wheels aligned and wearing out balljoints. I think i would still like to keep the rear about an inch higher than the front i like a little bit of a rake. Truck looks good Sharper :mullet:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya!!

So you're gonna do it eh Spider? :rolleyes: I don't know anything about the Hotchkis system. I'm sure it's very good. & I don't know anything about springs ruining balljoints either. But I dropped mine 2/3 w/ blocks & springs for (damn I can't find the bills right now) about $200 parts, & $200 labor, plus I had to get new shocks which were another $200 or so. So I think I made out alright. It took some gettin' used to but it feels good now.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i might.... im not sure just yet. I dont know if i want to spend that kindof money for just an inch but when/if i ever get rich i would love to do it and slap some 20" r/t wheels on there and put a shiney paxton under the hood :D. My first objective is new tires, i wear these damn things out so fast :mullet: Im planning on getting a true dual exhaust from DSM and aire intake first, then ill start thinking harder about lowering.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i would like to lower the back but do not want to do it with a different set of leaf springs are there hangers or anything i can use to do this so i dont hurt load capacity anymore than it already is? I would also still like to have .5"-1" rake just because i think it looks better than totally level. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Western Chassis sells a lowering kit for a R/T. 2" drop c-arms, and adjustable rear hangers/brackets. i got mine from Sporttruckdirect.com. But I think JCWhitney sells the same deal. Good luck to ya man.

Andy B

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
My friend had an 03 SXT with RT rims and stock size RT tires and he did the DJM 3 inch C-arms and the tires would hit the wheel wells and the fenders on big dipps and bumps. just something to think about.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think im going to do the hotchkis springs in front for sure with the sway bars but i dont know about the back springs. If i could lower the truck just one inch in the rear i would be happy i dont really want to have it sit completely level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2001 dakota lowering kit

I just lowered my 2001 dakota regular cab, 4.7 v8. I purchased 2" lowering coil springs from belltech, and 4" blocks from DJM, with belltech street performance shocks. I didn't purchase the kit together because buying parts seperate was cheaper. Everything has been installed, and worked out great.... Except the front of the truck is still sitting ALOT higher than the rear. I though it was supposed to level the truck out as well as lower it. It is lower, just not level. Does the new coil springs just need time to wear in? And will it level out? Or do I need to do some adjusting? Please help!! Rod run is in a week and a half and I want to be looking good up there haha

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
I just lowered my 2001 dakota regular cab, 4.7 v8. I purchased 2" lowering coil springs from belltech, and 4" blocks from DJM, with belltech street performance shocks. I didn't purchase the kit together because buying parts seperate was cheaper. Everything has been installed, and worked out great.... Except the front of the truck is still sitting ALOT higher than the rear. I though it was supposed to level the truck out as well as lower it. It is lower, just not level. Does the new coil springs just need time to wear in? And will it level out? Or do I need to do some adjusting? Please help!! Rod run is in a week and a half and I want to be looking good up there haha
Typically coils take a little while to settle, but i think a 2/4 would leave ya nose high yet... I would have gone for a 2/3

·
Registered
73 Posts
i went this route.....
2" block and adjst TB!
125$ kit
280 install and align
400 shocks installed (belltech nitro drop2 @ rear and sensatrac @ front)
wow, didn't realise i spent these much to drop 2".
good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts