Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having problems with this cheapo Ebay intake that I bought(SEE THIS THREAD), so I made a frankenstein type intake with parts from the old stock setup and the new kit. It solved the irregular "sucking noise" problem I was having, so that's good.

I've got a few concerns with the setup though... but before I mention those heres some pictures...

My first concern is that I was having trouble mating the new aluminum intake tube to the old airhat. Where the stock tubing ends is 3.5 inches, and the coupler is made to fit onto the inch throttle body. My solution was to use the coupler INSIDE of the stock tube to bridge the size gap, and then to make sure the aftermarket tube was pushed in far enough to give a sturdy inside to squish down with the hose clamp. It seems pretty secure, but I'm a little converned because it isn't the way it's supposed to be done. Do you think this will be safe and work out alright?

Here's a quick "x-ray" illustration of how it is put together.

Another concern I had was how to plug the hole in the tube for the IAC sensor. My solution was to just shove the air filter on a little farther to cover the hole up. I know this might reduce the air flow a little but I figured it'd be safer than trying to plug a hole with rubber or tape or something. Can anyone see any problems this might cause?

In general, after checking out the pictures how do you think it looks? Am I better off just putting the stock system back on and cutting my losses?

· Premium Member
860 Posts
When you purchase a ebay special for 3.99 plus 14.99 shipping you risk not getting the quality that you're looking for... keep that in mind next time something seems to good to be true when it comes to purchasing performance parts on the net.

I think that while the setup you are showing would work... it's definately in need of some finishing touches.... while the blue rubber coupler bridged the gap between the outer diameter of the intake and the inside diameter of the rubber flex tube.... I wouldn't suggest using this on a perminate basis.

What you're going to want to find out is the outer diameter of both the intake pipe, and your TB.... once you know those two figures, you can find a silicone reducer on ebay(runs about $20) so that you can attach that intake DIRECTLY to your TB. This will be your optimal intake position. While your current intake pipe can be used in this circumstance,... I would suggest getting an addition or alternate pipe to use.... for the fact that your current pipe is not sufficient enough as far as length goes.

Sorry for the long post,... and for it being so.... detail specific... I'm bored,... it's late, and I have nothing better to do,... plus this is practice for my Technical Writing class I am currently taking.

Paul

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
As far as performance goes, i dont think this set up will bring u anything, especially with that stock air tube. It looks a little bit better, but with that dirty ass engine compartment, u might as well go ahead and throw some mud on the filter :jester: :joke: :joke: I know u do offroading so im not gonna hate on the dirty engine. To tell u the truth though, that has to be one of the ugliest home brew intakes, mainly because of the 3.7 airhat, but thats just my opinion.

· Registered
728 Posts
To tell u the truth though said:
well by the looks of the engine bay looks doesn`t really matter,lol. but you lose that 3.7 airhat and you`ll see the low end go with it,lol.
if you`re gonna be 4x4`n a cai really isn`t for you man. you`d be better off with the stock set up, i`d be scared i`d suck some shitt up with the home brew.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When i bought the intake kit I knew it was probably going to be a cheap piece of crap.

I was originally considering doing one of those homebrew intakes, and I figured that buyingthis kit was much more expensive than just the filter alone, so why not try it out.

I was pretty pissed off when I realized it didn't even come CLOSE to fitting right. I tried experimenting to see if I could do anything with what I had, but I think I'm probably going to just go back to stock.

· Registered
173 Posts
Of course a CAI kit from any manufactor is not going to be cheap, espeically for us 3.7 guys. But I got my Afe (4.7L model) for a bit cheaper than the K&N one and its a better setup.

Sry, I didn't have the heat shield on at the time. And poor lighting conditions. Try to get a better pic of it. But no low end loss at all. The tubing size is actually much bigger than the pic shows. Plus, it pulls hard from 2k on up. Where the stock setup took until 3k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.