Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a round open element filter for my 5.2, but I'm still not sure which size to go with. I think I'm going to get a Mr. gasket because it comes with everything needed to install it. The edelbrock I looked at only included the assembly and wingnut. I was originally going to get the edelbrock because it has the hookup for the pcv hose, but I recently took a mr. gasket out of the box at the store and it has the punchout and adapter for it. It also included the stud, wingnut, gaskets, etc. I still don't know what size to get. I was going to look for a 14x3 but it requires a little more work to get it to fit on a genIII. I want to get the Mr gasket 10x2 but all the stores around here only have the 9x2. I'd like to hear from anyone with something to say about this.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that the round filters are outdated, but right now I can't spend what the local stores are asking (250+) for the K&N. Also the bulky Jet chip I have would be in the way of the heat shield. Right now I have to push the whole air box to the right to get the lid off it. I want something other than the stock system, but I don't want to spend more than $20 right now. I'm leaning towards the Mr. gasket 10x2 but my local stores only have the 9".

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually the real question is do I really need a 14x3? Will a 10x2 be sufficient since I don't race my 4X4? I can get a 10x2 a lot cheaper (almost $10 cheaper) than the 14x3 and less messing around with s-bolts and offset bases. The only way to fit a 14x3 on a genIII is to use an offset base, and the only one I could find is a 90 dollar K&N. thanks

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Those style of air cleaners are cool and all that, but..., beware of exhaust/engine heat being sucked in the air cleaner. If the motor starts pinging under a heavy load, you'll know why.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still leaning towards a 10x2 cause: 1.) Cheaper 2.) guaranteed to fit. I still don't see how a 14" could fit because I measured 7" from the bolt and it runs into the rubber seal near the wipers and also into the radiator hose. I'll take a look again tomorrow and re-measure. Thanks again. BTW: I'm not trying to up my post count. I'm posting in multiple places to get as many people to see and respond to my posts. :sorry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.