Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4 K&N drop in Exhaust cut after Trany crossmember.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gots a 92 Dodge dakota with the 5.2 in it. Auto. First thing in the morning i can fire it up smoke the tires anything over 45ish i get misses. After it sits in the Vegas heat for the day it wont start. When it will on occasion runs like crap misses like crazy. Starter fluid has no effect on it so my assumption of fuel pump might be kaput. On an off cloudy day it sat in 80ish weather all day...end of day fired up like morning...thought inputs anything because im at a loss.

Info amd test results of suggestions will be provided as thuroughly as possible for future help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea where to go to isolate...what line of diagnostix trsting i can do. Vapor lock isnt something ive delt with so im not even entirly sure what it is...

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,469 Posts
Vapor lock isn't likely on the return style 1992 Dakota fuel system.

It's where the gas literally boils out of the fuel line due to the heat, and so the fuel system is pumping air not liquid.

I'd bring a fuel pressure gauge set with me, and next time it doesn't start, make sure you've got your desired fuel pressure (according to the manual, about 39 +-2 PSI with the vacuum line to the regulator disconnected; the vacuum line allows the fuel pressure to vary with vacuum in the engine, to compensate for the variance in spray pattern that causes without the vacuum being taken into consideration in the ECU.)

If it doesn't have the pressure, or if liquid doesn't come out during crank, it won't start properly and may just be the PUMP gets too hot and quits.

Also, your 1992 has a fuel filter under the cab; be sure to swap that out for your cousin and mine, Justin Case, if you've never replaced it.

RwP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts were fuel pump and check fuel pressure but the otherday it would fire even with starter fluid...thats what spun me round...right round...lol it usually happens at the end of the day when im done working and just want to go lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
And engine needs 3 thing fuel, spark and compression these are easy enough to check. Also those 5.2 has a pan on the bottom of the intake and yes the intake must be removed to fix it. They are notorious for vacuum leaks that can be intermittent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would check compression. Problems when hot tend to relate to compression (hot molecules take social distancing seriously ;-).

Spec. 100psi minimum and 40psi maximum variation between cylinders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts