Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 dakota 5.9 r/t, with an air-aid intake. I was thinking of switching it out for one of the "old school" circular airfilters that just sits on top of the throttle body. My only questions are: 1. How much does it cost. 2.What parts do I need to get this done(all of them, I have no clue) 3. Can i put this set up on with a stock hood or will it hit. 4. Am i wasting m :help: y time?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the setup fit under a stock hood? and i heard you need some sort of adapter, can someone tell me what that is about.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Unless you are going to install a hood that directs outside air to the filter adding the old school system will decrease the air intake. The injector system likes lots of cool dense air and by using the round filter your going to be sucking in hot air from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
You need an off set, one inch drop base to fit under a stock hood. Use the filtered lid and you will have plenty of air flow. You should be able find everything you need on K&N's website.

Like Mopar r/t said, it's definately better if you have a cowl hood, but I doubt the difference is all that great or important, especially if you are mainly going for the looks and not maximum performance.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
N56629 said:
Like Mopar r/t said, it's definately better if you have a cowl hood, but I doubt the difference is all that great or important, especially if you are mainly going for the looks and not maximum performance.

Yeah cowl or SRT hood would be great.
Unless you already have an aftermarket air intake I doubt you will see any difference between the stock intake and a round filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.