Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to drop an older 360 Hemi 5.7L out of an older model ram into my dakota.. what all do I need to get before I can put it in my truck? Also, should I rebuild the motor first? I know I need the new transmission as well but how much will a new LSD cost me? Or what kind should I get exactly?(I'm really thinking about completely rebuilding the motor and adding roller-rockers etc. just to make sure everything works right). I'm already getting shitty gas mileage out of my 3.9L so at least now I'll have some horsepower to back it up. Plus everyone wants to run my truck since I have tribal flames painted on and it's getting really annoying.

Also, does anyone know where I can get an exhaust that is quiet but still moves alot of air? (I want my truck to be a sleeper) So it'll kick ass but sound like the stock 3.9L (I'm leaving the stickers)

D

·
0 Posts
Just as a point of information there is no such thing as a 360 HEMI. The 360 is a LA motor and is 5.9L, it's from the same engine family as the 3.9L v6 and 5.2L v8. The 5.7L Hemi is a whole new motor design and it's exterior dimensions are much larger than the 360, I do not know if it will physically fit in the engine compartment or if it will bolt up to the exisiting tranny of your Dakota.

The 360 will however fit and should be a bolt in operation. Just keep in mind that the EFI system for the 3.9 will need to be updated to the EFI system for the 360 and if you do not swap the tranny and rear end to the heavier units that were supplied with the v8 motors they may not last long behind the 360.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that DGC, I thought I saw that somewhere else in here had a hemi 360 dropped in their dak? I must have been going crazy :hammer:. Anyway, I'm going to be coming into some money soon, so what is the best way to get to 400hp from a stock Dak 3.9? I'm going to need a new rear-end obviously, new tranny... what else? (probably tub the truck for bigger tires and better traction).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hugh

·
Registered
504 Posts
You will be hard pressed to pull 400 HP out of the 3.9. The displacement is just not there to start with. This is not to say that it could not be done but it would end up costing you more money to pull out this amount of HP then it would if you dropped in a 408 stroker.

Find a 408 crate and drop it in along with a new trans and rear end. You will have to change the wiring harness and PCM as well.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
how much $$ you looking to get...i say the 408 stroker is the way to go...if not then turbo your 3.9 im sure you can get close to the 400 you are shooting for.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm looking at around 12k all together(somewhere around there) maybe a little more if it will work better. I'm taking that POS 3.9 out, I know that much. But how hard is it to put a 408 stroker into a dakota? I thought the 393cid was biggest would fit in a dak. I don't want to have shave the fenderwells etc. and where can I find all the parts etc. to do this project? I'm going to do it at my friends shop, but still need alot of parts.

But still, I guess I exaggerated on how many horses I need (sorry, I like to go big), around 300 would be damn good actually. The 360 would be perfect with a turbo or something like that(Want it to look somewhat stock, ie: no blower sticking out the top) I just get annoyed when people see my ride and instantly want to race me lol.

I'm still going to need to put a crate 350 in my '48 Chevy so I don't want to use too much of my money to do this project.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
504 Posts
For about $4,000 you can buy a 360 380 HP crate direct from Dodge. You will need the wiring harness and PCM to go along with it. I am not sure if the 3.9 accessories fit the 360, if not you will need to locate them as well. The traney must go as well. Adding the weight of a 360 V8 will stress the 3.9s suspension so you might need to beef up the front suspension.

The 408 stroker is built using the 360 block so the engine’s outside dimensions is the same.

D

·
0 Posts
The 380 HP 360 is a magnum engine but it is set up to replace the old LA 360 so none of the accessories will fit plus it comes with a carb manifold. MP does sell a 360 just for the trucks but I am not sure of the HP.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
the 408 is a stroked out 360...so it will fit...you can find everything at krc...i dont know what you are planing to do with your drivetrain...but i think you got the smaller 8.25 rear axle also so thats another thing to look at...this is definately a fun project...you should have plenty $$ left to play around with when youre done...and if you wanna make donations, i except them...lol

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm sure you would like donations Kaui!

Thanks alot guys. Given me lots of ideas, but still... where do I go? I don't trust the dodge dealership down here, they tried to charge me $600 for a replacement stock jack kit for my dak, so I try to stay away from them as much as possible.

How much do you think a car shop would charge to replace the motor, springs and all the stuff I need to get it done right? Where can I get a new rear-end etc.? A list of stuff would be nice :D Just so I know about where I stand. Has anyone done this project before (I'm sure they have) maybe a list of stuff from them would be great. I just want to get "all my ducks in a row" so I know what to do. I'm going to want a lot of dress up items as well, so I'm thinking of adding a turbo as well anyway, just to make it look good.

Will I need a set of gauges as well? B/c I'm sure I'll be able to do more than 120mph pretty easy with the new setup. Hmm, does DakotaDigital make gauges for the dakota? (I'm going to use their gauges for my 48 as well) How hard is it to hook up a ram air hood to the 360 too? So many options and ideas, now I'll finally be able to keep up with the ricers at the car meets :)

About the springs, I was thinking about getting airbags on my trucks as well, would they be better than getting the hotchkiss system? I'm looking for good handling with this as well, I know my gas mileage is going to blow, but oh well :) It's one of things you have to sacrifice, plus I'll use my motorcycle as my daily driver and just show off in my trucks on the weekends, so that won't matter too much. Plus I have my dad's durango that I'm going to turn into a mudder, and the 48 as a street rod... i'm going to have a nice collection of vehicles :D I'm still trying to talk my friend into making one his choppers for me (he won several competitions already, and he said he'd paint the dakota to make it match the attitude) Pictures when I'm done will overflow b/c I'm going to take pictures of everything :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
MOpar Part # 5007732

The 360 MPI for 93 and up is rated at 360 HP and comes complete with the MI intake with EGR. You can block off the ERG port or use it for nitrous. All of the brackets bolt up from the stock 360. The engine can be ordered from any Dodge dealer and if they charge you more then $3,600 then find another dealer.

Like any crate it does not come with the throttle body, fuel rails or injectors. You will also need to purchase the PCM, wiring harness, distributor, coil, wires, plugs, headers + exhaust. Plan on another $2,500 to $3,000 for all of this.

Before it’s all over and your on your way plan on handing over about ¾ of that $12,000. If your 3.9 is solid I would spend the cash to build it instead of installing the 360. You would end up spending less cash and have a nice truck.

The rest of the parts like the rear end, drive shaft and traney can be purchased online. Dana makes a great rear end and you can pick up the traney from BM. For the install just ask around your home town for a good shop with a solid reputation. More then likely they will charge by the hour. I would get at least 3 quotes for the job.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sweet. Thanks alot bro :) .... now what about that 408? :mullet:

I don't trust the 3.9L. It just doesn't seem to do half as good as I'd expect it to.(I guess i was spoiled by the 4.0L Inline 6 in my jeep). Anyway, the 408 with a supercharger would kick ass huh? A new rear end (Limited Slip) tranny and driveshaft should cover me huh? (Besides all the parts for the motor). Will I need to buy roller rockers and stuff like that as well?

·
Registered
504 Posts
KRC Performance sells their 408 strokers starting at $7,300 up to $11,500 plus shipping. HP is between 360 to 565. All come with the good things that make them fast. As with the 360 crates they do not come with the fuel system or ignition system, PCM, wiring harness and exhaust.

If you had the time and place to do the work you could build your own and more then likely save over a third of the cost of buying one already built. The 408 is serious HP so you will need to up grade your breaking system and definitely up grade your front and rear suspension.

You would be ahead of the game if you sold your Dakota and bought a Ram Rumble Bee and spent some cash upgrading the Hemi.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For one, my dad gave me the dakota as a grad. present and he died in April, so there is NO chance that I'm going to sell it. and 2, there are about 3 ruble bees out here, so nothing special with that. I'm going to make some calls around town and see if I can find someone that will make a 408 for me, (I'm sure I can, just need to call in a few favors). I just found out that my friend owns a shop so I can probably get it done for a lot cheaper (I'm hoping). But when I get the money I'm definitely going to go after that 408. The ricers at the car meets every week are bragging on their 13sec. cars and I just want to shut them up :) Plus, I'm leaving the V6 Magnum stickers on my truck so noone will know, plus put a stock exhaust (not really stock, is aftermarket but removes most of the sound making the truck quiet, but also increaing air flow. I'll finally be able to ride around in style and have something that will run as well (the 3.9 is just too weak for my heavy foot)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sounds like your serious about keeping the Dakota. If your state does not require smog testing and your willing to deal with a carbureted engine then you could save some cash and end up with something that will eat ricers rather then just run by them.

For $6,500 you can pick up a long block 408/500HP carbureted monster. You add the accessories, traney, headers and exhaust along with the wiring harness. You will also need the fuel system and ignition. As said you will need to up-grade the brakes and suspension.

You could be up-grading the brakes and suspension now while waiting to install the new 408. The rear end will need to be changed as well. :cool:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, definitely serious about keeping the dak :) Where would I find THAT motor? I will need to make sure about the smog laws first though, although I don't think it'll matter that much, I have a friend who will give me an inspection sticker through the mail... so I don't have too many worries. Plus I know 80% of the cops around here personally so I can get tix fixed etc. and noone will mess with me. (What I love about living in a small town) But that 500hp motor sounds good to me. Especially since I'm going to get a sweet new tranny, (thinking about a quicksilver slapshift shifter) new drive train, everything so it will work right. Think I'll be doing low 12's with that? Guess I'll have to wait and see. Might be able to pull a couple more .1 sec out if I tub the rear end and put 50's and cheater slicks on as well, but probably wouldn't drive it like that.

Did I mention I'm going to get a motorcycle to save on gas mileage, b/c that motor is going to SUCK DOWN some gas :) Probably going to need a bigger gas tank too. The 18gal one I have now will have to be refilled every 2 days with a setup like that... actually a fuelcell would be better.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Sounds like that thing is going to be a serious muscle-truck. I would imagine that not too many people will be able to keep up with you no matter what they are packing under their hood. God damn. What gears are going with?
BTW what did you decide to do with your late father's Durango?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah. I want to be kicking ass in my truck. Show those ricers whose boss...

About the durango.. I'm going to keep it and turn it into and offroad monster. Still street legal, but able to get myself out of the mudholes. Since I found the class action suit my dad was in ( he got cancer from chemicals dumped into the river where he lived, and that's what killed him) I will be able to keep it and that's the money I'm going to use to modify my trucks. What I'm actually starting to think about, is put that 408 in my dads (looks exactly like my dads 1948chevy 1/2 ton, that I bought from my uncle. In fact, probably WAS my dads 48) 48, and turn it into a street rod. I'm going to fix that up and turn it into a decent looking show truck hopefully. The way it's gonna be is, I'm going to have a bike for good gas mileage (an old honda or something) and have my Dakota for speaker competitions but still run fast, the durango for off roading and taking my friends out etc. and the 48 just to show off in.
I just had an idea.... put the 408 in the Durango, put the 318 from the durango into the dakota *get decent gas mileage that way* and put a 454 crate or 350 crate in the 48..... hmm, so many ideas. I should work for a truck company or something. lol. Patent some of these ideas(not about the motors, other stuff) Would the 4x4 still get good horsepower if I put the 408 in it? I could probably take out the extra seats and stuff if I wanted to race it, would be better than the dak, b/c the dak is going to be stuffed with speakers, (extra weight=slower time) right.

I need to plan some more stuff out. See how I want it all to work.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Damn dude your Dad would be proud of you.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sure hope he is. He used to modify trucks when he was young. A few months before he died he was talking about me and him putting bigger tires and stuff on the durango. :( I hope he likes what I'm going to do to the 48, b/c that truck is going to be dedicated to him. I'm thinking about finding a flathead v8 like he had in it at one point. But don't know where I would find one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts