Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pic below is of instrument cluster in Little Blue Guy....tach needle does not light up all the way to the end....it's not broke, and works fine.....sorry for crappy cell phone pic

What's up? Bad bulb inside cluster for needle? :huh:

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Looks like one went out.

Reactions: BOOM_FIST

·
The Asian Persuasion
2,644 Posts
Yea, looks like a bulb went out. While you're in there, just upgrade to LED's. :woot:

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, looks like a bulb went out. While you're in there, just upgrade to LED's. :woot:
Might just have to try that....I ain't had much luck with LED's in any of my cars lately.....do they make different colors in LED's for the dash?

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
u gotta make em fit/work. it involves wiring resistors and making the light holes bigger. i read a write-up on here about doing it to a gen III. but yes, red blue green are colors ive seen.

·
The Asian Persuasion
2,644 Posts
Might just have to try that....I ain't had much luck with LED's in any of my cars lately.....do they make different colors in LED's for the dash?
u gotta make em fit/work. it involves wiring resistors and making the light holes bigger. i read a write-up on here about doing it to a gen III. but yes, red blue green are colors ive seen.
I got some LED's coming...they should arrive this week...I hope
Sorry I'm getting back to you so late bro, but yes, they do make different colors and as far as the installation goes for your year truck, I'm not so sure. You might have already figured it out, but it shouldn't take too much fab work to install, if any. As long as you got the same type bulb that are already in the gauge cluster, it should be as simple as popping the old ones out, and the new LED's in.

Now just make sure you test the gauge cluster out before buttoning everything back up, LED's are polarity sensitive, so if they don't turn on the first time, flip them the opposite way in the socket, and try again. :eek:nethumb:

Good luck! PICS!!!

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LED's are polarity sensitive, so if they don't turn on the first time, flip them the opposite way in the socket, and try again. :eek:nethumb:

Good luck! PICS!!!
Yea...I found that out when I tried to make the LED's work in my front corner lights for running light and blinker...They won't work both ways

<damn>

Not clear on why I gotta wire in resistors...the bulbs I'm getting take the place of the 194 bulbs that are in there now

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
i could be wrong. i saw on a thread where suprchrgdcraprango or whatevr his name is was wiring leds into his door switches. thought he said his bulbs came with resistors. im not totaly sure how they work but i know i had led brake bulbs once and they worked but the turn signal wouldnt.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Depends what kind of leds you get. Some leds require resistors to work and some do not. And again for the running sytem, example signals, you will get a hyper flash with out resistors. But, as for bezel lights, you will not need leds for the system, but may on the leds you run.

·
The Asian Persuasion
2,644 Posts
Yea...I found that out when I tried to make the LED's work in my front corner lights for running light and blinker...They won't work both ways

<damn>

Not clear on why I gotta wire in resistors...the bulbs I'm getting take the place of the 194 bulbs that are in there now
Where did you order them from? I used to get all of my LED's from www.superbrightleds.com - fair on price and pretty quick shipping.

·
#19 &#387;op &#477;n&#1503;q &#477;&#1503;&#647;&#
13,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you order them from? I used to get all of my LED's from www.superbrightleds.com - fair on price and pretty quick shipping.
I found a guy on ebay...he will sell to me without going through ebays site....got 12 sets of bulbs, 24 total for $60 with shipping. He has all colors and sizes. If ya want his info, let me know

Bryan

·
13,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the LED bulbs today....had a spare dash in the garage...installed the LED's in the sockets and connected battery power to the pins....

Problem is that the LED's are too "directional".....meaning that they light up real good straight ahead from the tip of the bulb....but not so good off to the side.....so, the LED change over is out....

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Mine is kind of like that but still looks good.

·
13,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok...pics below...first is the 6 LED bulbs I got, second pic is with stock 194 bulbs, last pic is with the LED bulbs installed. If the brightness was more "uniform" or even all the way around the dash, I would leave them in...

I don't like it with the LED bulbs...so now I got 12 LED bulbs here that I can't use...$30 with mailing to anyone that would like them for another project they might have...

<sigh>

Bryan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts