Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a parts trans, got my park rod, and of course... Now I cant find the stupid shim for it. I used a nut but idk if its gonna work out to well, and now of course, I cant get the overdrive unit back on!! It slids on only to stop about an inch away from the case..... We are getting 15-18 inches of snow, and my trucks on stands so Its going together TONIGHT. I have about 100 pages from mitchell on demand from school(i used almost a whole thing of paper printing stuff out on this stupid thing. Its free might as well take advantage!!) so im hoping I can figure it out. Then I gotta bolt everything else up, put on my new cap, rotor, and plug wires because the cheap ass ones I got to make it down here corroded hardcore, so out with the shit in with the new(for now). Gonna finish my grille tonight, and possibly tint my markers and tails.
Now anyone have any info on to how to get this OD unit back on!! Advice would be lovely!! And HOW DO U UNPLUG THESE STUPID TAIL LIGHTS!! I already broke both plugs and they STILL wont release!!!
Well wish me luck! I gotta get this thing looking tip top, going home in a few weeks, gotta impress the new girl, she hasnt seen the beast yet!!

O I almost forgot, its gonna be straight piped with a cherry bomb vortex muffler for now till I get money for my true duels, and I may have bought something today that might make its way onto he truck if it turns out to be big enough ;). Who wants to guess what it could be :p

And HUGE thanks to suprchgd99rango. Without him I would still be looking for a park rod, AND he hooked me up with fuel injector clips so no more leaky injectors here!!

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
screw it haha, heres my new "toy" I got today

t3/t4 hybrid turbo, .50 intake, .63 exhaust, watched it be rebuilt right in front of me, cost me a whoping 100 dollars ;)

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the OD unit back down, cleaned it up, checked inside it lines up.
Re do the gasket with some new RTV, throw it back up in there and once again i stops an inch from the case. WTF!!! I CANT STAND THIS TRANSMISSION!! That and the sucker dripped atf into my mouth, shit is FOUL tasting!!
This thing is gonna be called satans child now, its official. Im so close to just burning it or something!! Someone help please....

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts

And HUGE thanks to suprchgd99rango. Without him I would still be looking for a park rod, AND he hooked me up with fuel injector clips so no more leaky injectors here!!

hey thats me!

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well ive put on and removed this overdrive unit at least 15 times. I cant figure it out why it wont slid the rest of the way on!! This truck is gonna be the death of me!! So on my breaks from wanting to remove my hair I tinted the tails and clear courners, and got a new set of fogs for my silverstars since I cracked one. Its starting to look really good, now all thats left is getting the nose in black paint, and finishing my grille and ill be happy for awhile with looks. Gonna try and figure out whats wrong with this OD unit, and hopefully get it together before I have to go back to my apt... Sucks not having a car cause I cant get here to tinker on this thing during the week... Plus I got my mustang I have to hook up the clutch in and finish so I can get it moved out of my dads garage too cause hes moving the end of this month, along with my bros quad and my tractor have to go. My motorcycle thankfully isnt here but I gotta get that done too cause I want my bike license soon haha.

·
14 Second Club
430 Posts
Is the OD unit the only part you took out? If not, did anything you do involve disassembling the gearsets and clutchpacks? The output shaft could possibly be sticking out too far, thus not letting the OD seat correctly.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What did you do to the overdrive? If you disassembled it, did you align the splines during reassembly?

·
Montana Dodge's BFF
2,196 Posts
sounds like the splines in the O/D unit are not lined up,you will have to unload the O/D spring,line the splines up(either an alignment tool or old intermediate shaft) then put back together and slide unit back onto the int. shaft.
Also try turning the output shaft while sliding on unit,sometimes the annulus gear turns and the park pawl can't slide in all the way for the park rod to go past the pawl and seat.

P.S. look down in the O/D unit with a flash light and you can visible see if the splines are not lined up,as gthere are two sets on top of each other.

DEPUTY

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i don't think you should touch a car if you are having trouble with something so simple...
My terminals were all packed with mud, and were corroded. I got them off and cleaned and put dielectric grease on them.

sounds like the splines in the O/D unit are not lined up,you will have to unload the O/D spring,line the splines up(either an alignment tool or old intermediate shaft) then put back together and slide unit back onto the int. shaft.
Also try turning the output shaft while sliding on unit,sometimes the annulus gear turns and the park pawl can't slide in all the way for the park rod to go past the pawl and seat.

P.S. look down in the O/D unit with a flash light and you can visible see if the splines are not lined up,as gthere are two sets on top of each other.

DEPUTY
Yea its out of allignment, im suppose to take it to a trans shop right now and have it done for 30 bucks, but I CANT GET A RIDE to my dads house!! I hate being in college and having no car.... Hopeing they are open tomorrow! And I can get there!! I want it together and running!

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I didnt get there last weekend. Going this friday, having the OD unit fixed, putting the new park rod in, and hopefully driving it out of the garage friday night!! Gotta order parts for my exhaust, and such because I dont have any now haha. Wish I could have duels bent now, but unless I get a credit card thats not gonna happen... Gotta get it done though....Bah screw not working!!

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well its done. I got it here with me at school, pulling it into the shop after lunch to check over everything and make sure its all tight. OD unit allignment cost me 37 bucks, new wires, cap and rotor are in too. Re wired my efan, put some mephis audio speakers in the front doors cause I had them laying around too. Trans still sucks, its depressing haveing done all the work, and put the old slipping trans back in, but gotta do what I gota do for now. Hopeing my tax return, and selling off some junk will net me enough cash to either buy a 5 speed swap setup, or drop it off and have the auto built.
I really did miss driving it though, i love the power of the 5.9, and the whole feel of the truck, I just wish I knew what it felt like to have a good trans in it, and my locker. Open rear on this thing SCREWS with it so badly. All it wants to do is one wheel peel in courners, and if im stoped and taking a courner on an incline,or taking off quick, forget it all it does is SPIN. Damn POS goodyear RT/S tires dont help either. WORST TIRES I HAVE EVER DRIVEN ON. PERIOD. But all in all i figured u guys would be glad to hear shes back on the road.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Goodyears are indeed junk IMO. My father could never keep air in the OEMs on the dak. He replaced 2 or 3 of em before moving onto BFG KOs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts