Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is a weird problem/question/opinion/whatever ... my truck is an '02 Dakota with the 4.7L with auto tranny with 21k miles on it... I changed the oil this evening and when I removed the big cap/plug where you pour the oil in, I noticed a rust colored sludge built up on the bottom of the cap and on the sides of the filler tube. This is the first time I have seen this and I religously change my oil every 2900 - 3000 miles. Has anyone out there experienced this phenonmenon/problem? If so has anyone figured out what the hell it is?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Chrylser had a TSB out for this. I had the same problem with my previous Durango ('00 4.7L). I just wiped it out and drove the truck. The lease ended at 51k, never had any problems. Nothing noticed on the new(er) Durango (another '00 4.7L)... milage is 30k at this time.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/17/001793EQ.html

TSB Number: 09-01-00A
Issue Date: SEP 00
TSB Title: Oil Fill Housing - Foamy Emulsion Accumulation

Hope that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like it. Ill stop by a dealer tomorrow and ask them about that and also get em to fix my driver window (when it gets cold it no workee)

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
"Foamy Emulsion Accumulation"

I wonder how much they paid someone to think up that name!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, thats probably why they are charging $1500 more per truck each year. The bigwigs don't know what the hell it means but it sounds cool and they figure John Q. Public will never figure it out.

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
Between the Viper Fan and the work I did on that page, most it not all of it has stopped. I'll up-date that page soon.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
I just check it about every month or so. wipe it out. I noticed during the summer its a lot less. will a PCV catch can cure this prob? I will prob wrap my oil filler neck. I want something a lil more cleaner looking than wraping and why I ask about the catch can.

also I agree you have a nice site. and a nice dak.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I'm going to also check mine every month or so, and do the insulation around the filler neck. What kind of insulation should I use? I'd be afraid of it getting too hot and melting, or getting wet and rotting/falling off etc... Thanks...

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
petrock said:
I'm going to also check mine every month or so, and do the insulation around the filler neck. What kind of insulation should I use? I'd be afraid of it getting too hot and melting, or getting wet and rotting/falling off etc... Thanks...
I used the pipe insulation you get at Home Depot. Works great.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The oil/condensation goop is nothing to worry about. The GM Quad4 and newer 2.2L engines did this too.

I personally just leave it alone. Mine has the baffle and revised cap, and it's better than the old design. Aside from the fact that it's gross looking, it's harmless.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
grey ghost said:
not to get of to the oil sludge, but what brand and weight of oil do you guys use?

german castrol syntectic 0w-30 syntec or aka green castrol. and dont say its not a true syn. I hate to :slap:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to dredge this up but...

I'm new to this site and when I saw the yellow gunk in my new '03 I got a little worried thinking it had blown a head gasket or something. But by the pattern left by the goo I could tell it was not originating from below in the oil supply. Until today I'd never heard of this issue so pardon my ignorance on the topic. Some said it won't hurt anything but I can't help but think there might be some long-term negatives by having water/oil slowly oozing into your oil pan through the fill tube. Has the baffle fix mentioned by Y2kota worked?

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
bull said:
I'm new to this site and when I saw the yellow gunk in my new '03 I got a little worried thinking it had blown a head gasket or something. But by the pattern left by the goo I could tell it was not originating from below in the oil supply. Until today I'd never heard of this issue so pardon my ignorance on the topic. Some said it won't hurt anything but I can't help but think there might be some long-term negatives by having water/oil slowly oozing into your oil pan through the fill tube. Has the baffle fix mentioned by Y2kota worked?
WARNING LOTS OF :blahblah: AHEAD :sorry: BUT IT HAD TO BE SAID.

It helps. That "water/oil slowly oozing into your oil pan", that's where it comes from. Its blow by gases from the cylinders. Follow the hose coming out of the right side of the oil fill tube. That goes to the back side of the in-take manifold. The in-take manifold causes the gases from inside the block to be drawn up through the oil fill tube then into the in-take to be burned off. When the gases pass over the cold oil fill tube, the moisture collects and builds up the "sludge" you see. The colder the air passing around the outside of the OFT (oil fill tube) more of the sludge will accumulate. Warmer weather will dissolve the sludge.

The baffle creates a smaller area that the sludge will build up in. Also take it out of sight of the consumer. Pull the baffle out and you still see the sludge.

OFT - insulated Basically what I have done to my OFT is to insulate it to help the warm gases from the block melt off the sludge. It works some what.

Ele. Fan install One small benefit of installing the Viper Fan has helped to a small degree here also. In the colder weather, the stock clutch fan is constantly blowing cold air over the OFT at all times. This just causes more sludge to build up. Also makes it harder for in the gases to warm the sludge and melt its self off.

Short drives, not allowing the engine to fully warm up and melt off the sludge from the is cold is a big cause of this.

Hope this helped :banana2:

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
Mopar Mike said:
The oil/condensation goop is nothing to worry about. The GM Quad4 and newer 2.2L engines did this too.

I personally just leave it alone. Mine has the baffle and revised cap, and it's better than the old design. Aside from the fact that it's gross looking, it's harmless.

Yup, Mike is 100% right. :clap2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts