Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have somthing different going on with my oil pressure. No matter what RPM I am at while driving with the motor at operating temp my oil pressure is past the line before H on my 02 durango. When idling it drops to just below it. This is strange to me seeing as how I've never had it that high before and usualy below mid when idling. Any ideas or concerns that I should be worried about with this?

EDIT: I'm running 5w30 mobil 1 with a mobil 1 filter. Stick seems ok. I've been running this oil for the last 15k miles, previously dyno oil at 39k miles. I am currently 2.5K miles into this change.

·
"Semi-Hemi" Extraordinair
1,256 Posts
that usually means you have a sludge problem...
Hey all. I have somthing different going on with my oil pressure. No matter what RPM I am at while driving with the motor at operating temp my oil pressure is past the line before H on my 02 durango. When idling it drops to just below it. This is strange to me seeing as how I've never had it that high before and usualy below mid when idling. Any ideas or concerns that I should be worried about with this?

EDIT: I'm running 5w30 mobil 1 with a mobil 1 filter. Stick seems ok. I've been running this oil for the last 15k miles, previously dyno oil at 39k miles. I am currently 2.5K miles into this change.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
put a mechanical guage on it and check what the actual oil pressure is - could something as simple as the sending unit going bad

·
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML
4,370 Posts
How so?? I can't say that I have ever seen a sludge issue cause high oil pressure readings, now low pressure readings and all loss of oil pressure alltogether is a different story
there is a pressure control check valve within the pump. it closes at low pressure to keep it high (like 8-10 psi) but when the pump is putting out 15-16PSI (high rpm) it opens and bleeds pressure. if this ball jams up from sludge it can cause always high pressure, always low pressure, or RPM variant pressure

·
Registered
399 Posts
try running some seafoam (like1/3rd of a can) in your oil for about 50-100 miles before your next oil change

·
Registered
27 Posts
that usually means you have a sludge problem...
There is no such thing as a sludge problem with 4.7 engines! I would put a mechanical gauge and check that you are getting oil pressure and if you are, just change out the oil sending unit. A $30 dollar part. Since you have been running Mobil 1, there is also no need to put seafoam in the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts