Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, everytime i slow down and come to a stop, my oil pressure drops to zero and my check guages light comes on, then it goes back up to normal and the light goes off. I read that it could be the oil pressure switch so I installed a new one but the problem still exists. Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know what to do about it? Thanks :huh:

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
How many miles on the truck? I assume your oil level is correct?

I had the same symptoms, and to some degree still have the same symptoms. On mine I had a bad belly pan leak so I was sucking a lot of oil. That would result in increased oil consumption, and the very same thing would happen at stoplights. I fixed the intake by putting an M1 on it, and so far so good. However, it has only been 2-3 weeks since it was put on, so I cannot say for certain that was the definite problem. I think it was related to low oil levels, since it would only happen a couple weeks after topping it off. So far it has notresurfaced, but my gauge is consistently showing a lower pressure than I would like.

It might be the sending unit or the pump itself. If you have relatively high miles you might have sludge buildup on the pickup screen on the pump, which impedes oil flow. I am beginning to think that is my problem right now.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got my truck. I ran a flush and changed oil to synthetic. good to go. hasn't happened since. good luck

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
rockadaous said:
I had the same problem when I first got my truck. I ran a flush and changed oil to synthetic. good to go. hasn't happened since. good luck
I thought about doing a flush on mine, but with 185k miles I was afraid it might do more harm than good. A lot of the seals/gaskets are still original, with the exception of the intake stuff. No leaks that I can find so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not a Normal Oil Pressure Problem

My symptoms sound identical to yours. Here is what I've learned about the problem.
On HOT days >80'F when the engine is hot (like coming off the freeway, or sitting in stop and go traffic) when I go to an idle the oil pressure drops to zero. If I rev the engine the oil pressure comes back up. I put a "T" on the sender unit and installed a mechanical gauge for comparison. Both gauges indicate the same thing, both go to zero. I installed the re manufactured engine a year ago this past April, with a remanufactured oil pump. So I recently replaced the oil pump with a brand new one from the Dodge dealership. Exact same problem still except now I'm having problems with the engine temp racing to 240'F (but the days temps are hitting near 100'F also).

When I changed the oil pump there were some fibers on the filter screen blocking a small part of it. I don't know where they came from or what material they were made from, but the vast majority of the screen was still clear.

In the cool mornings driving 30 miles on the freeway the temp goes to 210'F and the oil pressure stays around 40 psi and no problems when I get off and come to a stop.

I've tried the flush, and I've checked to see if there is any oil in the intake. The flush didn't help any and the intake looks very clean.

·
Search and Rescue
234 Posts
when I first bought my 02 dak I had the same problem and the ticking.. after a complete rebuild 3.9v6 done by me I learned that where the oil pressure sensor has a horrible problem of gunk getting built up behind it.. quick fix take out the sensor and stick your finger in the hole.. reinstall it and its a done deal! it causes the sensor to read improperly ps the world famous ticking is the fuel injectors! have fun! joe

·
Search and Rescue
234 Posts
brcre check for stray air trapped in the cooling system!!! maintain a proper water to fluid balance. If its boiling then air is most likely the problem.. also check the fan the clutches do go bad

·
Search and Rescue
234 Posts
of course every case may be different but in my case this was the answer.. the towbin dodge techs here in vegas confirmed it after I completely rebuilt the motor and trans according to them these injectors are very noisey however very dependable. some say the ticking is a timing belt problem also I use a mopar double roller and its a peach. good luck on your projects!! joe :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sneezer said:
I had the same symptoms, and to some degree still have the same symptoms. On mine I had a bad belly pan leak so I was sucking a lot of oil. QUOTE]

Yes it is you phelm (sp) gasket aka belly pan gasket leaking. GET IT FIX TOMORROW!!! YOU RISK BLOWING YOUR MOTOR. I had the same thing in my 99 durango ad read all about this and the service centers put in a new oil pump ect and still nothing. they can check the gasket leak by doing some pressure tests just tell them to check it. Alot of posts on here talk about the same thing and when not fixed in time engine blows $$$$$. Since mine has been fixed no more high oil consumption.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the help I can get since I own a lemon, but I'm not in a position where I can get out from underneath it.
To the issue:
I was using full synthetics 10-30w, but switched to thicker oil to solve my no oil pressure problem. I haven't even put 300 miles on the 20-50w I'm currently running. About the oil pressure sensor I have it "t'd" with the factory oil pressure sensor on one side and an after market oil pressure gauge on the other side. Both basically read the same in the sense that if one says zero the other says zero. Actual measurements vary a bit. Bo-Dak told me his no oil pressure problem turned out to be a defective oil filter, even though the Dodge dealership tells me that only 20% of the oil gets filtered at any one time.
So it now has a new oil pump, oil filter, and thick oil and I don't have the loss of oil pressure anymore.

Now I have a problem with it over heating.
I red lined it twice trying to get it home the other day. I waited an hour both times for the temp to drop to 210'F before trying to make it a little bit farther up the road. Radiator, water pump, thermostat, antifreeze, and hoses are less than a year old. I pulled the water pump just to check it out since I seem to replace that on an annual basis (Green antifreeze is very bad on aluminum. I now use the orange and I can tell it's gentler). Slightly damaged, but not bad enough for it to not work. Since I'm frustrated with it and I need it to run, I just bought a new pump, thermostat, by pass hose, and fan clutch. Then I'm having the radiator pressure checked and cleaned. Hopefully that fixes it when I get it put back together.

On a different topic: I had that ticking noise from my engine before I built my current engine and installed it last spring. The timing chain had a bit of slop in it, but still with in tolerance. It was suppose to have a tension device on it to keep the chain tight as it wore and stretched out, however I don't remember one being there and I think it was just the chain slapping at slower speeds. The new engine doesn't have that noise with it's new chain.

Anyone interest in viewing the maintenance log just needs to ask, but there is way too much information to post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran into a very similar problem on my '99 3.9L today. After about an hour on the highway (50 - 60mph) my engine light came on and my oil pressure dropped to 0. I stopped the truck and restarted it and my pressure returned to normal. I have 104,000 miles on this truck and have had the temp gauge go all the way to the right and then back to 0 before, but it reset when I turned the power off.
So I thought it was just a computer glitch. However the problem continued as I drove another 10 miles to my destination. I kept driving it because I was listening carefully and heard no strange noise (like lifters).

Once I got to where I was going I removed the battery ground for fifteen minutes to reset the computer. I then started the engine and everything seemed normal. I had about 38PSI at idle and 50 at 2000RPM. This truck has always shown very consistent pressure within that range, so I figured the problem was solved.

On my return trip however, again after about an hour the problem recurred. I stopped the truck and shut off the engine, and left it off for about ten minutes while I secured my load in the bed. When I restarted, it ran fine with no further pressure drop for the rest of the trip.

I added a pint of motor flush this evening and let it idle for ten minutes. I plan to run it for a few miles and then change the oil, hoping it will solve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Suggestions

No suggestions. After doing the engine flush I assume you changed the oil and the oil filter. After that make sure you check all the suggestions listed in this forum. I'm not even totally sure what stopped my oil pressure problem and I'm not convinced that it won't come back at a later date.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep. I ran the flush and changed the oil and filter. That was some nasty looking oil that came out, too, I tell you. I filled it with Mobil-1 10w30 and drove 100 miles with no more pressure warnings, so maybe it was just a cruddy sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 dodge 3.9l V6 130.000 miles.

Oil pressure drop/ check gauge light on...... fluctuates, then nothing. If and when gauge worked it was very low. added 2 quarts.
Nothing changed.
Sounds like a lifter ticking, so I'm thinking pump.
Will you get any trouble codes for sensor, low pressure, pump fail?
Oil filter? Oil pump?
The truck was super strong, no engine probs now this...........
I drove it from FL to CA and all was great, oil/filter was changed before my trip.
Maybe sludge and possible sediment dislodged and moving around with all the hills and mountauns here.
Would a faulty pressure sensor cause a lifter to tick, I'm thinking not, but ya never know.....

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
of course every case may be different but in my case this was the answer.. the towbin dodge techs here in vegas confirmed it after I completely rebuilt the motor and trans according to them these injectors are very noisey however very dependable. some say the ticking is a timing belt problem also I use a mopar double roller and its a peach. good luck on your projects!! joe :wave:
wow really??? I would like to talk to those techs and find out how the timing belt is making this noise...

how did you change from a timing belt motor to a double roller?

This is gonna be good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts