Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy have a 99 durango 4x4 with a 5.2 and need to replace the oil pan gasket and was wandering what was envolved.Some opinions/advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
91 Posts
Best I can think of is get the gasket from the dealer. HTH.
To drain your oil, get the D on a lift or get it on ramps.
Take off the oil cap in engine bay.
Remove the plastic skidplate cause if you don't, the oil from the filter WILL gather on the plate after you take it off. Learned the hard way.
crank open the drain plug and let the old oil flow out.
After the oil slows to a trickle, take off the filter, you may need a filter wrench.
When all the oil has drained out, replace the plug and new filter and make sure to lube the O-ring with new oil and hand-tighten, never use wrench to tighten.
You may want to think about using mobil 1 synthetic. M D has 118,000+ miles on it and I just recently changed over. Great stuff. I would get about 7 quarts just to be safe. Any leftovers can be used for next time.
When all is done, take the D out for a nice EASY drive. Let the engine get used to the synth. Maybe 20-30 miles. THEN you'll really feel the difference. HTH.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
ummm. Oil pan gasket is what I've been working on in a round about way. I'm replacing the oil pump,screen,shaft while I'm in there and replacing a bearing.

So far, removed motor mounts, raised engine, dropped front axle w/ out removing drive shaft (don't listen to Haynes every time), removed brackets, dropped steering linkage, with engine raised, steering linkage down, front axle pushed forward w/ elbow, pry bar between tranny dust cover and oil pan pushing it forward and down past lip of tranny, then pulling down on steering linkage while moving oil pan back.

Yeah, I did drain the oil also.

It's a lot of work, if it's just for a little leakage you might consider some cat litter in the drive way. Plan on replacing the pump as long as your in there, 3 pieces $130 from advance.

Mine's still in pieces in the garage, it's definitely a two person job and my helper has been a little sketchy. He's the mechanic, and I'm paying him, but he keeps breaking axles, and rear diff's on his own truck while we're trying to fix mine. :rant:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.I was more looking into dropping the pan. I heard I might have to lift the engine .does anyone else have any insight

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got in there before I posted .I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that .Would I expect any different from a dodge, of coarse not I got under and looked and noticed leaks in all my seals from front to back got 225000 km's on er so other then replacing the muffler and not having hardly any heat in the winter in the 2 yrs I've had it I can't really complain I guess

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
We have the exact same vehicle, you'll definitely have to lift the engine to have enough room to slide the oil pan out.

I also forgot to mention the gasket from advance or azone was $33. It's alot of work, I imagine a shop would charge an awful lot. Like I said earlier, as long as you're there get the oil pump. I got the high volume oil pump for about $56.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts