Dakota Durango Forum banner

Oil gauge not working

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  frankdon 
#1 ·
Hello all ,
I bought a 2002 Dakota SLT and the oil gauge was not working. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and still not working. The gauge is all the way down and the check gauges light on.
Any idea how to fix or what to do next ?

#2 ·
Check the wiring for the gauge. Poll the ECU to see what it sees for oil pressure too (the instrument cluster is driven off the ECU, so the sending unit most likely feeds the ECU.) Also, check the resistance from the sending unit to ground while the motor isn't running, and while it is.

Last but not least, prepare to connect a mechanical gauge there, even if it's just for under the hood, to verify you DO have oil pressure.

You HAVE checked the oil level, right?

#5 ·
The oil gauge problem. The pressure relief valve on the oil filter housing could be clogged, or even the oil pick-up strainer in the sump, but yes connecting an oil pressure gauge is a good thing to do first if you have one. Did you flush the engine before replacing the oil. I had the same problem on my dodge once and I deliberately overfilled the oil pan with engine flush and left it overnight and the next day I flushed it and the gauge started working again. Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.